Campus to gain $19.5 million athletic addition

A $19.5 million Dartmouth Varsity House is slated to be completed by fall 2007, made possible by a $10 million donation by Douglas C. Floren '63 and family, the Office of Public Affairs announced Thursday.

The Floren Varsity House will be located east of Memorial Field and will house a 10,000-square-foot varsity strength training center, a 130-person "smart" classroom, meeting rooms, a football locker room, equipment facilities, and offices for football, baseball and two women's sports.

"The new Varsity House symbolizes Dartmouth's strong commitment to intercollegiate sports and our 900 varsity student-athletes," said Josie Harper, Director of Athletics and Recreation. "Our coaches do a great deal of teaching, and the new classrooms will make that even more effective. The facility will also create a terrific strength-training environment for all our varsity teams, moving us to the forefront of the Ivy League."

The new Varsity House will provide additional benefits besides those of an athletic nature.

"The Varsity House will not only be a tremendous asset for teaching and training, but will provide a significant recruiting advantage as well," Harper said.

The Floren family has been a significant contributors to Dartmouth in the past, establishing both a fellowship and an endowment in the biological sciences. The family also contributed to the Alexis Boss Tennis Center and the Alan D. Gordon Pavilion.

Floren has served as a volunteer on the Leadership Committee and the Reunion Giving Committee, and was a class agent for seven years. Two of his four children are Dartmouth alumni -- Jennifer '93 and David '01.

"Dartmouth's outstanding scholar-athletes will benefit greatly from Doug Floren's generosity," College President James Wright said. "Doug knows from his days as a varsity athlete, when he captained the men's tennis team, the importance of first-rate facilities."

The Floren Varsity House is the latest in a series of athletic facility construction projects at Dartmouth. It follows numerous constructions including the $12 million Alumni Gymnasium which opened in April, and the Corey Ford Rugby Clubhouse and fields, dedicated in September 2005.