Big Green rugby obliterates Massachusetts by a century

Tom Manzo '07 and the Big Green ruggers put up a Wilt Chamberlain-like performance against UMass on Saturday.

Dartmouth came out firing on all cylinders, playing ferocious defense in the first few minutes and taking possession from UMass through several poaches by Andy Mackin '07.

Dartmouth wasted no time getting on the board as the first score came at the five-minute mark of the first half. After multi-phase possession, flyhalf Conlan O'Leary '09 made a half line-break before finding a streaking Paul Huelskamp '06 who took the ball 40 meters for the score. Jake Pawlowski '08 made the conversion to make the score 7-0.

Just 10 minutes later Dartmouth struck again, with Huelskamp and O'Leary again combining for the try. O'Leary received the ball and drew several defenders before dishing to Huelskamp who forced his way into the try-zone. The Pawlowski conversion made the score 14-0.

At the 16 minute mark Dartmouth increased its advantage further as co-captain Aziz Sayigh '07 found the try-zone off a quick penalty restart. The made conversion brought the score to 21-0.

Dartmouth continued the onslaught in the 23rd minute as Josh Ring '08 made an impressive line break after some good multiphase play from a lineout. President Pete Harris '07 then took the ball and ran off the left side of the ruck, knocking defenders over like bowling pins with some impressive leg drive, eventually bullying his way into the try-zone. After the conversion, Dartmouth led 28-0.

Just before halftime, Dartmouth added to its growing lead as Anthony Arch '09 gained possession for the Big Green with a nice poach. After Sayigh made a line-break he off-loaded to Drew Jennings '08 who touched the ball down for the score. A missed conversion left the halftime score at 33-0.

After a fiery halftime speech from head coach Alexander Magleby '00, Dartmouth wasted no time putting the plan into action as excellent possession by the forwards resulted in an easy score for captain Tom Manzo '07. A failed conversion made the score 38-0.

Two minutes later Dartmouth made the score 45-0 as O'Leary once again found Huelskamp for the line-break and try. Only a minute after that score, Dartmouth made it 50-0 as Brad Fierstein '06 showed his speed with an impressive line-break and try.

The remaining 30 minutes of the game could best be described as total domination by Dartmouth. Dartmouth scored eight more tries including two impressive counter-attacking scores, two lineout scores and several nice open play scores. The try-scorers were Mike Markelz '07, Josh Weinberg '07, Arch, Jennings, Pawlowski, Sayigh and Fierstein.

"I am obviously happy with the total team performance but I am more excited about the try I scored," Weinberg said. "I knew the guys had not been passing to me on purpose so when I scored it was huge relief."

The impressive showing revealed just how good the Dartmouth men can be when they play physically and execute their game plan.

The win brings Dartmouth's record to 4-2 heading into its final game of the regular season against Northeastern University this Saturday.