Alpha Phi holds inaugural rush events

Sophomore girls gather at The Hanover Inn to meet sisters of the newly-created Alpha Phi sorority at rush Wednesday night.

Alpha Phi's rush process principally differs from that of other sororities in that it lacks a physical plant -- most members currently live on the ground floor of Smith dormitory -- and consequently is holding rush parties in the Hanover Inn, FUEL dance floor and the Top of the Hop.

Alpha Phi President Lauren Orr '08 said that the lack of a physical plant is not a problem. "It's just a reality that we have to deal with," Orr said. "I don't think that anyone's saying in their mind, 'oh I wish we had a house.' We do have a space, it just can't take 80 people."

With its 20 members, 18 of whom are on campus, Alpha Phi also has many fewer members than other sororities and is outnumbered during rush events by the groups of approximately 60 visiting girls. However, Orr said that "small numbers are a strength because we're so close."

Orr added that the national Alpha Phi organization has supported rush, contributing funds and sending consultant Jesse Seymour and Director of Extensions Megan Bouch. Two Alpha Phis from Boston University also attended the first round of rush, and six more Alpha Phis from BU will attend rush events over the weekend.

"I hadn't met the [BU Alpha Phis] before, but the way that our rush works is like other houses: they're not the only people that girls would talk to," Orr said. "Also, nationally Alpha Phis are similar, so they probably give a good idea of what national is all about and what we stand for."

Orr said that she felt that Alpha Phi was "providing [girls] with a totally different option" and added that its advantage lies in its novelty. "These girls in the pledge class will be charter members with us, they'll get to help shape the house," she said.

Orr added that the character of the house -- which she described as "classy and fabulous" -- and the lack of a reputation added to Alpha Phi's appeal.

Marisa Origel '07, Panhellenic vice president of recruitment, said that she hoped that the addition of Alpha Phi will help reduce the size of incoming sorority classes. "Last fall we had three houses with 49 [new] girls, which is just way too many to get to know, hopefully this year they'll be smaller and closer," Origel said.

Feedback from the Greek community has been very positive, according to Orr, and other sororities have said that they are looking forward to having smaller classes with the addition of a seventh sorority. "It goes back to changing the Greek system and making houses more personal," Orr said.

Jessica Lehmann '07, Kappa Delta Epsilon's rush co-chair, said that she was supportive of Alpha Phi overall and looked forward to a decrease in the number of new members in eacht class, but said that "it's not really adding to the female-dominated scene." Unlike KDE, a local sorority, Alpha Phi's national status would not permit it to have alcohol on any physical plant it might acquire.

"From KDE's perspective, we want a women-dominated [social] space, and they're not really going to do that," Lehmann said. "People who aren't in Alpha Phi aren't really going to go there."

"Overall, it's a positive thing, I just think it's a shame that they didn't add another local house and that they only added one," Lehmann added.

Theresa Zhou '07, Delta Delta Delta's rush co-chair, said that she was unsure what kind of girls Alpha Phi will draw as a new house.

"They don't have an image yet," Zhou said. "I think what kind of girls they draw will fall heavily on how they present themselves during rush."

Lehmann said that Alpha Phi's positive national standing could help them during rush. "Alpha Phi has a very good reputation nationally, so I think girls who know Alpha Phi from back home will be really excited to get involved with that and make their impact," Lehmann said.