Plan B pill available over the counter now

Pharmacist Melissa Knight works behind the counter at the Health Services pharmacy, where a prescription is still required for the Plan B pill.

"Plan B is currently available to students through Health Services 24 hours a day," said Elizabeth Hirsh, manager of the Women's Health Program. "But our pharmacy won't offer it over the counter because we've always offered it."

The new ruling allows pharmacists to dispense Plan B -- also known as the morning after pill -- to women without a doctor's approval. Currently, doctors advise women to take Plan B within the first 48 hours after sexual intercourse to prevent ovulation that could lead to pregnancy, although the pill statistically works if ingested within five days.

Dick's House provides female students with the ability to call or sign up through BannerStudent for an appointment with a doctor. Students must complete a small form and the physician informs the student about any questions or concerns.

"We don't want to make you jump through hoops, which enables us to easily prescribe a fair amount on campus," Hirsh said.

Students pay $10 to receive Plan B, which is less than what hospitals across the country typically charge, according to Hirsh.

"At Dartmouth, Plan B is fairly accessible," Director of the College Health Service John Turco said. "Some women believe Plan B makes sense and for women that may not be sexually active often it might make sense to use Plan B once every so often."

Despite the FDA's approval to sell Plan B over the counter, some doctors or pharmacists do not prescribe or sell the drug because they believe doing so is immoral.

"It stirs up the whole question of when life begins," Turco said. "Some believe they would be supporting abortion."

The new FDA decision has also added, in part, to the ongoing political debate centering on abortion. Often pro-life politicians do not support the utilization of Plan B as a contraceptive.

"It's a manifestation of the abortion debate," said Rahul Sangwan '07, president of Dartmouth's College Republicans. "Many people see the pill as a form of abortion because it prevents pregnancy. Yet, states can restrict its sale in theory."

Sangwan added that the debate over Plan B specifically plays a small role politically because the issue rarely helps vocally unsupportive politicians achieve greater popularity.

"There is a great deal of diversity in our Republican group. A good part of the party would still oppose it," Sangwan said.

Members of the medical profession still encourage women to practice some form of contraception regularly while they are sexually active.

"If you look at statistics, this is not the best form or ideal form of contraceptive," Turco said. "It's not foolproof just like a condom solely isn't. Birth control taken regularly is more effective than taking Plan B."