Heralding from Bates, Braz tapped as registrar

Meredith Braz will assume the post of College Registrar Nov. 1, according to Dean of the Faculty Carol Folt, who made the announcement Wednesday. Braz will replace Thomas Bickel, who has served as Interim Registrar since the departure of Polly Griffin to Princeton University in August.

"As the academic officer responsible for the planning, organization and record-keeping of instructional activities, she clearly has the depth and breadth of experience to lead the Registrar's office into the future," Folt said of Braz.

Braz is joining the College after 15 years at the Registrar's Office of Bates College, where she served most recently as the Registrar and Dean for Academic Systems. Braz is also involved with various collegiate organizations; she is the current president-elect of the New England Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Counselors and has served on the Small College Issues Committee of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.

"I hope that Dartmouth will be a learning experience, but I also hope to bring with me the skills I have learned elsewhere," Braz said.

She accepts the role of Registrar on the heels of Polly Griffin's tenure, which began in 1999. Griffin, who now occupies the same position at Princeton University, stated that she left the College in part to be closer to her family.

Braz was selected following a national search led by Associate Dean C. Robertson McClung. The faculty committee he spearheaded reviewed applicants and invited finalists to Hanover for personal interviews.

"It was a very extensive process," Braz said. "I met with over 40 people and I got a real sense of what the community is about."

Braz believes her previous experiences with liberal arts colleges and the collegiate registration system at Bates will translate well into her role at the College. However, Braz also stated that she has no immediate agenda for the Registrar's office at Dartmouth.

"The Registrar's office [at Dartmouth] is very solid and is giving great service," Braz said. "I want to ensure that such great work is ongoing."

She added that she is eager to start her new position and is open to the ideas of her new colleagues at the College.

"In short, my goal is to figure out the vision of the Registrar's office and to take direction from the other leaders who are there," Braz said.