Daily Debriefing

The College had its most lucrative fundraising year ever with $160.3 million in charitable gifts at the end of the fiscal year on June 30. The Campaign for the Dartmouth Experience and an increase in donations from alumni and friends drove a 51 percent increase over funds raised in 2005 and a third greater than the previous fundraising record of $118 million in 2004. A total of 26,750 donors contributed and almost 51 percent of College alumni contributed to the Dartmouth College Fund, raising $30.7 million in unrestricted gifts.

In an e-mail sent to all Ivy League newspaper editors, two anonymous former Ivy League students announced the creation of IvyLeak, a weblog dedicated to Ivy League news and gossip. The IvyLeak editors, who described themselves as former Ivy League newspaper editors, said that they were unhindered by things like administration oversight, source rules or standards that often prevent papers from running stories. The site allows users to submit information anonymously, and previous posts include the U.S. News college rankings 24 hours in advance of their official release and rumors that Spike Lee is taking a humanities course at Columbia.

Thomas Kean Jr. '90 won the Republican senatorial primary in New Jersey on June 6 over John Ginty. Kean, who was a member of Psi Upsilon fraternity, is trying to unseat the incumbent Sen. Robert Menendez in an unexpectedly close race. Kean's father is Thomas H. Kean Sr., the popular former governor of New Jersey and chairman of the 9/11 Commission. His family also includes two senators, a congressmen and a delegate from the Continental Congress. Support from prominent Republicans, such as White House political strategist Karl Rove and Republican Whip Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY), both of whom are organizing fund-raisers for Kean, has helped offset Menendez's three-to-one fund-raising advantage.