Daily Debriefing

Despite an overall drop in housing sales in the state, sales remain strong in the Upper Valley area, according to a recent article in the Boston Globe. Overall sales for New Hampshire have dropped 10 percent in the past year, from 8,004 in the first five months of 2005 to 7,265 in the same amount of time in 2006 and the average length of time that a New Hampshire home stayed on the market was 139 days compared to 134 days last year. The lull in the real estate market has not affected some regions of the state, including the Upper Valley, the Claremont area, the Strafford County and the White Mountains, where sales have all increased. Darryl Salls, president of the Upper Valley Board of Realtors cited Dartmouth College, and the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center as two of the reasons that the area has managed to stay above the dip in housing sales.

Carmella Pulsinelli, a resident of Manchester, N.H., was arrested Sunday afternoon on charges of drunk driving after she lost control and rolled her vehicle, ejecting herself and a passenger and pinning them both underneath. Police reports indicate that Pulsinelli was trying to pass another car on Interstate 93 in Northfield, N.H., when the accident occurred. Both the driver and passenger were taken to Franklin Regional Hospital in Laconia, N.H. The passenger, who suffered head and neck injuries, was later sent on to the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in .

Science research companies Integrated Genomics and the Mascoma Corporation announced on Friday that they have a contract to analyze the genome of a microbe important in breaking down cellulose for conversion into ethanol, which offers a low-cost, renewable fuel alternative to gasoline. Mascoma's work is based on Thayer Engineering School Professor Lee Lynd's work, whose labs comprise the largest academic group in the United States devoted to biomass conversion. The new partnership will use software developed by the Chicago, Ill.-based Integrated Genomics to analyze the Mascoma genome, analyzing and optimizing the microbe's cellulose bioprocessing.