Daily Debriefing

A new record electrical power peak demand was likely to be set in New England on Wednesday according to John Gratiot, associate vice president for Facilities Operations and Management. He sent a BlitzMail message to about 20 colleagues around campus earlier this week to notify the community. The message, which was also posted as an FO&M BlitzMail bulletin, urged Dartmouth community members to minimize power usage between noon and 5 p.m. on Wednesday in order to help keep the New England peak demand down, which would in turn "save money in the Dartmouth energy budget." Gratiot said in a BlitzMail message to The Dartmouth that New England was expecting a peak load of 28,500 Megawatt Hours but it only hit 28,000 MWH. "It looks like the plea I, and others, got yesterday may have made a difference," he said.

A seminar titled "China: The Next Superpower?" took place Wednesday morning in Spaulding Auditorium. Lt. Col. Paul Marks spoke about the cooperation between the United States and China at the military academy level and analyzed the strength of the relationship between the two countries. Marks, who is a Chinese instructor at the United States Military Academy at West Point, has been trying to develop a sister school relationship with a military academy in China and spoke about the caution on both sides as representative of the relationship between the two governments. Economic Advisor at the World Bank Harry Broadman spoke at the seminar about the problems with large state-owned enterprises in China and China's role in the world trading system.

James Panero '98, former editor-in-chief of The Dart-

mouth Review, and Stefan Beck '04, former executive editor of The Dartmouth Review, have recently written a book entitled, "The Dartmouth Review Pleads Innocent: Twenty-five Years of Being Threatened, Impugned, Vandalized, Sued, Suspended, and Bitten at the Ivy League's Most Controversial Conservative Newspaper." The book is an anthology of Review articles that chronicles the controversial points in the Review's 26-year history. The two former Review editors said in an interview with FrontPage magazine that they rediscovered the archives when visiting the Review for its 25th reunion. Panero and Beck are both editors at The New Criterion.