Major League Baseball first-half awards and winners-to-be

The first half of the 2006 major league baseball season saw its fair share of surprises, controversy and excitement. From more steroids, to the Tigers, to Albert Pujols' one-man show in St. Louis, fans have been treated to a dandy thus far. As the All-Star break quickly fades into memory, it is time to hand out mid-season awards and look into Evan's official crystal ball playoff predictor.

Most Surprising Team:

Detroit Tigers

The Detroit Tigers had not finished higher than third in their division since 1991, but that streak will certainly end this year. As of Wednesday, the Tigers find themselves 3.5 games ahead of the defending champion White Sox and are baseball's only 60-game winner. Who is to account for the Tigers' successful surge after years of futility? One needs to look no further than first-year manager Jim Leyland. Leyland, a two-time manager of the year, led the 1997 Florida Marlins to their first World Series. After leaving managing in 1999, Leyland has returned to his old form, propelling the Tigers towards a new franchise record in wins. The notable production of Ivan Rodriguez and Magglio Ordoez has provided an offensive boost that had been absent in Motown for decades. Furthermore, Kenny Rogers has continued to ignore the date on his birth certificate and has been a rock at the top of the pitching staff, posting an 11-3 record.

Worst Team: Kansas City Royals

The Royals edged the Pittsburgh Pirates for this dubious honor mostly because they sit 30 games out of first place. (When you've only played 94 games, that's almost impressive). The Royals have the league's worst record, 32-62, as of Wednesday. Worst of all, improvement is a distant dream. When Mark Grudzielanek is your offensive leader, you know there is a problem.

NL MVP: Albert Pujols

Never mind the fact that he missed 17 games before the All-Star break. Albert Pujols remains a man amongst boys as he continues to produce staggering offensive numbers. Through one-third of the season, prior to straining his right oblique, Pujols had tallied an absurd 25 homeruns and 65 RBIs. He has cemented his position as the game's best player, not to mention the Cardinals' only chance at playoff success, and, if his production continues at its currently mind-boggling rate, he will unquestionably end his storied career as the greatest player of his generation.

AL MVP: David Ortiz

David Ortiz leads his league in both home runs (32) and RBI (90). Yet beyond the numbers lies a more important designation -- most clutch player of the new millennium. Ortiz seemingly leads the universe in game-winning hits and has consistently produced when Boston needs him most.

Most Improved Player: Carlos Beltran

I usually shy away from honoring any of the league's most overpaid players, but Carlos Beltran's first-half production cannot be ignored. After a dismal debut with the New York Mets in 2005, Beltran has made his nearly $14 million per year salary look less ridiculous by shattering his home run total from last year by the All-Star break, along with matching last season's RBI total two nights ago. He has placed himself back amongst the most feared offensive players in the game and has pushed the Mets to the top of the East division.

Team most likely to dismantle itself within the next month: Washington Nationals

By Aug. 1, the Nationals will be the least-recognizable team in the league. Headlining this potential fire sale are Alfonso Soriano, Livan Hernandez, Ozzie Guillen, Jose Vidro and Nick Johnson. It seems more than likely that Soriano will end up with either the Tigers or Angels, while the rest will be pursued by a slew of teams who have visions of the postseason, including the entire NL West.

Team most likely to tumble in the second-half of the season: Cincinnati Reds

Simply put, the Reds have overachieved. They currently lead the NL Wild Card race by two games, but will fall before the season's end. Injury-prone Ken Griffey Jr. cannot be depended upon, and Adam Dunn is not yet capable of leading a team to the playoffs.

Evan's Crystal Ball Predictions:

AL East: New York Yankees

AL Central: Detroit Tigers

AL West: Oakland Athletics

AL Wildcard: Chicago White Sox

NL East: New York Mets

NL Central: St. Louis Cardinals

NL West: Los Angeles Dodgers

NL Wild Card: Houston Astros

ALCS: White Sox over Tigers

NLCS: Mets over Cardinals

World Series: Mets over White Sox in seven games.