Daily Debriefing

Members of the 2008 Class Council met with representatives of several Greek organizations on Wednesday to plan a summer event that will serve as a replacement for Tubestock. The celebration, so far untitled, will take place at the BEMA on Aug. 12, and will include live music and free food. Students at the meeting broke up into five subcommittees to handle various logistical aspects of the event. The meeting was conducted by Tess Reeder '08, the class council president. "We're trying hard not to make a lame alternative to Tubestock," she said. "Doing it last minute, it's probably not going to be as good as it can get, but hopefully if people have fun this year it can become a tradition to build on in future summers."

The U.S. Sports Academy ranked the College 67th among Division 1 schools in its 2005-06 Director's Cup. Points were awarded for season finishes in up to 10 men's and 10 women's sports. The Big Green earned with 232.5 points, placing it behind Kansas University, which finished with 239.75, and Cornell University, which finished with 241. The only other Ivy League school to rank higher was Princeton University, which accumulated 374.5 points, earning 47th place. Stanford University took the number one ranking. The Director's Cup, which was developed by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics and USA Today, is sponsored by the Alabama-based U.S. Sports Academy.

Concerned about global warming, environmental studies professors Michael Dorsey and Darren Ranco organized a symposium from June 23-25 to discuss plans to combat the problem. "What Comes After Kyoto?" brought representatives from universities, environmental groups and human rights organizations to Hanover to discuss climate change. "From petroleum drilling and mining, to automobile manufacturing, to international trade policies, to local labor markets, the issue of climate change is only getting more intricate," Ranco said in a press release. "This is the beginning of a critical dialogue among scientists and experts in an effort to provide valuable critique and offer suggestions to help address climate change."

Dorsey said that while there are some positive signs from the international community, such as a May 2006 United Nations meeting in Germany that supported reducing emissions, at other times the issue of climate change seems to be ignored. He pointed to the July G8 summit in Russia, which he said is expected to focus on increasing access to fossil fuels.