Daily Debriefing

Dartmouth Medical School geneticists reported on June 29 in the online edition of Science that DNA damage resets the cellular circadian clock, suggesting a fundamental connection between circadian timing, cell cycle progress, and -- potentially -- the origins of some cancers. The paper is co-authored by Jay Dunlap, professor and chair of genetics at DMS, Jennifer Loros, professor of biochemistry, graduate student Christopher Baker and former Dartmouth students Antnio Pregueiro and Qiuyun Liu. Their findings reveal that genetic mutations physically interact with clock proteins, increasing susceptibility to cancer. Their work highlights the protective dimension of the biological clock and may aid in the development of anti-cancer treatments.

David Kraemer, a graduate student in Dartmouth's Psychology and Brain Sciences Department, appeared on NBC's Today Show on June 30 to explain his study on how songs get stuck in one's head. Kraemer, along with professor of psychology Bill Kelley, asked participants to listen to familiar and unfamiliar songs, with or without lyrics. The researchers used functional MRI brain scans to see which parts of the brain were active while the volunteers listened. Even when gaps were inserted into the excerpts, participants continued the song in their heads, and when they did this, the auditory cortex remained active even though the music had stopped. "It's fascinating that although the ear isn't actually hearing the song, the brain is perceptually hearing it," said Kelley.

Nina Basu '02 announced on July 1 that she is seeking the Democratic nomination for the Maryland House of Delegates in the competitive District 13 -- eastern Howard County. She was raised in the district, where her parents still live. At Dartmouth she majored in history and government. Basu has since worked as a financial analyst in Baltimore and continues to be involved volunteer work and public service, currently serving as vice-chair on a community governing body.