Sharma '08 awarded Goldman scholarship

Faced with a week packed with papers and exams, Mita Sharma '08, a nominee for the Goldman Sachs Global Leaders Scholarship, dealt with a major setback when her computer crashed, and she lost her entire nearly-completed scholarship application four days before it was due.

"I had so much stuff to study for; I didn't have time to worry about this scholarship that [I figured] I'm not going to get anyway," Sharma said.

When the scholarship program e-mailed the nominees to remind them about the application deadline, Sharma responded that she was no longer applying due to the stressful circumstances. Surprising both Sharma and the scholarship office, according to Scholarship Advisor Kristin O'Rourke, the application deadline for Sharma was extended, allowing her two days after her last exam to submit her application.

Ironically, Sharma found out later she was one of 16 students across the nation awarded the Goldman Sachs Global Leadership Scholarship of $3,000 and would be further selected as one of eight students from the United States, and one of 50 from across the globe, to participate in a global leadership conference to take place this summer.

Sharma's past volunteer experience made her a strong candidate, according to O'Rourke.

"[Sharma has] taken advantage of opportunities, and she seems to be someone who's self-motivated and looks for opportunities to participate and to do things," O'Rourke said.

According to the scholarship website, the Goldman Sachs Global Leaders Program "identifies and rewards the academic excellence and leadership potential of 100 of the most accomplished second-year students from all disciplines."

Sharma worked with the American Red Cross throughout high school, went on an alternative spring break with Habitat for Humanity last year, and participated in the Nicaragua Cross-Cultural project this winter, which she believes was what made her stand out from the other applicants. Sharma also volunteers as a South Asian dance instructor for children in the Upper Valley, researches in the psychology department, works as an Undergraduate Advisor, and is a mentor through the Women in Science Program.

Despite her impressive resume and packed schedule, Sharma remained modest about her accomplishments.

"I was surprised I got it period. I'm surprised I got it over [other] people too," Sharma said. "I still don't know why I was accepted."

Once her application was selected for the scholarship, Sharma was invited to a group interview with all 16 recipients from the United States and the four selected from Canada. The interview helped determine the eight United States recipients who were invited to attend the Goldman Sachs Global Leadership Institute conference in July.

The 50 students selected to attend from around the world will "collaboratively examine important international issues, such as the roots of terrorism and its eradication; and to participate in workshops on public policy leadership and international business," according to a statement from the Goldman Sachs Foundation.

Sharma noted that she is excited about the other students with whom she will be working.

"[The other scholarship recipients] were amazing. They were the type of people who are just going to blow you away. You talk to them for five minutes and you're like wow, what am I doing here? They're so down to earth and nice and they're so accomplished and talented," she said.

O'Rourke also expressed enthusiasm for the opportunities opened up for Sharma upon receiving the scholarship and being invited to attend the conference. "Other than the prestige and the money is the experience that this is going to give her. They're training you to be taking on a leadership role later on in whatever field you're going to choose," O'Rourke said.