SA's 'town meeting' draws few undergrads

A group of 15 students, only three of whom were not Student Assembly members, attended the Student Assembly Dartmouth Town Meeting Thursday night in Collis Commonground.

The event's attendance was poor, especially when compared with last spring's Town Meeting, which drew over 100 students and positive feedback from administrators.

At last spring's meeting, College President James Wright, Provost Barry Scherr, Dean of the College James Larimore, Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman, College Proctor Harry Kinne and Dean of the Faculty Carol Folt were present to address student concerns. Redman was the only administrator present on Thursday night, however. Dartmouth Dining Services Director Tucker Rossiter was scheduled to attend the event, but fell ill and could not attend.

Student Assembly member and Town Meeting planner David Zubricki '07 said that the small number of administrators present contributed to the poor attendance.

"We need to do it once a year and really bring forth the big administrators," he said. "And we need to do it in the winter, when people aren't on the Green."

Student Body President Noah Riner '06 also said Thursday's nice weather kept people from filing into the Collis Center for the event, and denied that student apathy towards the Assembly played any part.

"I think people are excited about these issues, but they are more excited about the beautiful weather," he said. "I mean if you didn't have to be here, you'd be frolicking on the Green, right?"

Zubricki added that the Assembly publicized the event aggressively.

"We put fliers on everybody's door and we sent several Blitzes," he said. "People just didn't show up. We can't make them come."

This fall's Town Meeting also saw sparse attendance compared to last spring. The fall's meeting focused on student drinking at the College and drew roughly 30 students.

During this term's meeting, Redman addressed housing and DDS concerns.

"I think [DDS] is a huge financial issue for the institution," he said.

Redman also said that he is worried about the increase in "For Rent" signs outside buildings off campus, implying that the signs demonstrate a decline in students interested in living off campus.

"I still need about 400 kids to live off campus in order to have enough beds," he said. "My concern is that people are thinking that I'm solving every housing issue with the new buildings."

By the end of the meeting, only eight students were present, including only one non-Assembly member. The event cost the Assembly roughly $25, according to Assembly Treasurer Ruslan Tovbulatov '09.