Rainy Green Key keeps Police busy

This year's Green Key weekend resulted in 12 alcohol-related arrests, a number typical for the weekend, along with three ambulance runs for dangerously intoxicated students.

"Overall it was a typical Green Key, but it kept us very busy. The number of arrests that are alcohol-policy related events remained fairly consistent this year," College Proctor Harry Kinne said. "Considering it was a rainy weekend, it was pretty active. On a typical weekend if we had this much rain, we would have had a lot fewer reports."

One non-student needed help from Safety and Security officers after falling into a hole in the Tuck Mall construction site on Friday night. He was then arrested for intoxication by the Hanover Police Department.

Safety and Security responded to two fire-related incidents over the weekend. In one case, a student in Gile Hall took flaming food out of a microwave and threw it in a trash can, which then caught on fire. There was no damage, except to the trash can.

In another incident, which is still under investigation, Chi Heorot fraternity's swimming pool was slashed over the weekend by an unknown vandal.

The Hanover Police Department is also investigating the assault of a member of Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity early Thursday morning outside of the physical plant. Two white males left Chi Gam and walked up to a nearby parked car which was occupied by a male and a female. The aggressors banged and urinated on the car, causing the male occupant to get out and confront the assailants, who subsequently assaulted him.

The police took an incident report Saturday night regarding a fight on Mass Row. One underage student involved in a disorderly conduct disturbance was arrested for unlawful possession and intoxication and another student was taken into protective custody.

Despite the inclement weather, Phi Delta Alpha fraternity's block party and Alpha Delta fraternity's lawn party, as well as numerous dance parties, attracted high numbers of students determined to enjoy Green Key social events.

The talk by Playboy model Jenn Sterger at Psi Upsilon fraternity on Saturday also drew a large and rowdy audience that asked a number of pointed questions during the question-and-answer period.

When one female student asked Sterger to show the audience her breasts, for example, she said that the student should look in Playboy magazine.

The Festival of Humanity was held on Saturday at the Collis Center with performances by many student groups, a silent auction and a barbecue which raised money for Habitat for Humanity.