Portman '78 confirmed by Senate

The U.S. Senate confirmed Dartmouth graduate Rob Portman '78 to direct the President Bush's Office of Management and Budget.

Bush said in a press briefing that Portman "will have a leading role on my economic team and will help ensure that the government spends the taxpayers' money wisely, or not at all."

Taking on this new post during one of the most trying political moments of Bush's presidency, Portman will face the increasingly difficult task of devising the administration's annual budget submission and defending it to Congress. Portman will essentially serve as a liaison between the White House and the Republican leadership in Congress.

According to The Associated Press, Portman's first task will be to supervise negotiations on a large supplemental spending bill for the war in Iraq and for hurricane relief on the gulf coast. Republicans are promising to pass the bill for Bush the week of June 5.

Senate Budget Committee Chairman Judd Gregg (R-N.H.) said in a press briefing that he was pleased with Portman's confirmation and confident that Portman is well prepared to confront the fiscal challenges faced by the administration.

"While the economy is doing very well, with unprecedented job creation, robust output and surging tax revenues, there is still work to be done," Gregg said.

Portman's bipartisan connections, which will offer the Bush administration important contact with Congress, made him a popular choice for the position.

Sen. Kent Conrad (D-N.D.) voted in the Budget Committee to confirm Portman as the new OMB director, citing his high regard for Portman personally and Portman's skills as a public servant.

In a press briefing, Conrad said he has urged Portman to use his new position to find bipartisan solutions to budget challenges.

"Our fiscal problems can only be solved if we all come to the table and work together," Conrad said.

According to The Washington Post, Portman's popularity stems from the view that he is someone who puts pragmatism before his own fiscal conservatism.

Before accepting his new position, Portman served as a congressman from Cincinnati and then as chief U.S. trade representative. As trade representative, Portman helped win House passage of the Central American Free Trade Agreement and completed bilateral trade deals with Bahrain, Peru, Oman and Colombia. Susan Schwab has been chosen by Bush to replace Portman as chief U.S. trade representative.

Portman, who studied anthropology while at Dartmouth, went on to receive a law degree from the University of Michigan before becoming involved with politics in the 1980 campaign of former President George H. W. Bush.

At a ceremony last Thursday to sign a U.S. trade and investment cooperation agreement with Switzerland, Portman joked about his confirmation.

"I'm Scottish and Swiss, so I should be a pretty good budget director -- pinching the pennies," he said.