Kappa raises $2,000 for local cancer center

Roughly 30 people braved rain and mud Sunday afternoon to participate in Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority's fourth-annual Breast Cancer Walk/Run fundraiser to benefit the Norris Cotton Cancer Center at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.

Participants in the walk/run followed a five kilometer course that started at the Collis Center, looped around Occom Pond and ended at Sanborn Hall. Adverse weather conditions presented a problem for the runners, but the race continued

"The times were pretty slow, but it was a journey," Kappa member Tessa Steel '06 said. "People were pretty much troopers and had to plow through mud and areas that were flooded."

This year's event follows what was a more controversial walk/run last year. Kappa took five months to deliver the nearly $1,500 raised for the cancer center, as its account into which the funds were deposited did not have enough money to present the money as well as pay for a senior banquet.

Kappa paid for the senior banquet but delayed giving the money to the cancer center until the following Fall term, when membership dues had raised enough money to present a check in the proper amount to the cancer center.

The sorority had planned on transferring the funds to the cancer center immediately following the event; however, with its house account balance in the red and membership dues as the only means of raising additional funds, they were forced to delay payment.

Members this year stressed that precautions have been taken to ensure such a mistake will not happen again.

"Everything is completely separate this year; that's why it cannot be an issue again," Steel said.

This year's event raised approximately $2,000 for the cancer center, and Kappa plans to continue with T-shirt and bake sales to raise more money, according to event co-chair and Kappa member Kathryn Funderburk '07.

"We did more publicity in different places," Funderburk said about the increase in money raised this year. "Also, the raffle went really well this year."

Each team or individual who participated in the race was required to pay a $10 entry fee. Food and drinks were provided for participants, and prizes were given to top finishers. The raffle and T-shirt sales helped raise additional money.