Internet celebrity, Playboy model Jenn Sterger to lecture at Psi U

Model Jenn Sterger, a student at Florida State University with 95 Facebook.com friends at Dartmouth, will give a half-hour presentation on her life.

Sterger, a fifth-year senior at Florida State University, was propelled to fame in Sept. 2005 when cameras from ABC News panned across the crowd at an FSU football game, pausing before the commercial break on a scantily-clad Sterger and two of her friends.

"15,000 young, red-blooded American men just signed up to go to Florida State next semester," announcer Brent Musburger said when the women came into view.

After the game, still shots of Sterger and her friends began to circulate on the Internet. As her popularity rose, Sterger launched her own Web site and a site dedicated to her group of female companions, nicknamed the Cowgirls, who cheer at FSU sporting events.

Recently, Sterger has appeared in Maxim and Playboy magazines and has seen the creation of numerous websites devoted to her.

While at Psi U, Sterger will discuss her life and meteoric rise to fame in a presentation and then take questions from the crowd.

Sterger also writes about her life experiences on her official web site, JennSterger.com, including a description of an early experience with public nudity.

Sterger was drum major for the marching band in high school and said her bra came undone once during a half time show. She hid in the formation until she made her way to the back of the field, where some of the moms tried to help her fix it.

"I ended up having to completely undo my top right in front of the visitor stands," she said, where a group of guys supporting her high school football team's top rival "got a glimpse of it all."

"They proceeded to yell things like, 'We love the band!' and 'Show us your boobs!'" she said. "Pretty humiliating ... but I can laugh at it all now."

Sterger will be available after the talk for autographs and pictures.

"It's not everyday that we get a celebrity who's our age come to Dartmouth," Jason Reid '08 said. "And she's been very popular since Playboy, and Dartmouth guys are interested in meeting girls that have been in Playboy."

The event at Psi U will begin at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday and last until 7:30 p.m., with Sterger's talk beginning at 7 p.m. Possible events before Sterger's address include autograph signings, a whipped cream pie eating contest, and a raffle, with some proceeds going to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. A party with the band Rock Kandy will follow from 11:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., which Sterger will attend, according to Psi U social chair Michael Selvin '07.

Matthew Kelly '06, a member of Psi U who is also a member of The Dartmouth staff, helped arrange Sterger's visit.

"Myself and a couple other people were thinking it's our last Green Key and this would be a great way to top it off," Kelly said.

Kelly and his friends decided Sterger would be a good choice because of her fame with college students and her "large following" among the Dartmouth student body.

Sterger has thousands of friends on Facebook.com, including 95 at Dartmouth. Sterger has recently made a number of appearances around the nation and delivered a speech titled "Representation of Women's Bodies in Cyberspace" to a class at FSU.

Roger Finger, a Sterger family friend and co-creator of her official Web site, said that such appearances help to demonstrate that Sterger is "more than just a bikini model" and is a dedicated student who maintains a 3.75 grade point average.

"She's been a victim of people trying to be her on the Internet," Finger said. "There are a lot of blogs out there falsely claiming to be her and as a result of that she's been attacked by other blogs. She wants to go out there and say, 'That's not me; that's not the person I represent.'"

Staff writer Kelsey Blodget contributed to this report.