Defending Scientific Research

I have many issues with Joseph Asch's "Dartmouth by Numbers" (May 26), but as a former Dartmouth undergraduate and now graduate student in the earth sciences department, one point in particular stands out as being especially misinformed.

Based on his arguments, it is obvious that Asch's perspective on Dartmouth is skewed toward the humanities (and if we're going to talk about numbers, how about a discussion of bias?). Therefore, it is understandable that he might not understand how things work in the sciences.

Asch suggests that professors in the sciences should teach more classes, presumably at the expense of their research. He fails to understand that in order to be effective teachers, professors need to be actively involved in research, pushing the boundaries of their fields.

Any worthwhile undergraduate experience in the sciences needs a strong research component, and the opportunity to work with professors engaged in cutting-edge research is one of the great benefits of attending a school like Dartmouth.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Dartmouth should become an institution primarily focused on research, but I do believe that it is important to understand the need to maintain a balance between cutting edge research and teaching, especially in the sciences.

Much has changed in the world since the "good old days" of the 1970s, and Dartmouth cannot afford to sit by and watch while stagnating in its past. I considered ending this letter with a quote about change from one of the classics of the humanities, but I decided to stick with what I know. I suggest that Asch should do the same.