Daily Debriefing

John D. Morris Tu'85, an apparel retail research veteran, has joined Wachovia as managing director and senior analyst in the company's Equity Research Group in New York. Morris, who received an MBA from the Amos Tuck School of Business Administration, has twice been named "Best on the Street" in the Wall Street Journal's annual analyst survey. Starting his career at Credit Suisse First Boston, Morris went on to work at Morgan Stanley, Prudential Securities and Harris Nesbitt before finally signing on with Wachovia, Wachovia operates in 49 states and serves clients through more than 40 international offices.

Lambda Upsilon Lambda fraternity, the 1972 Society and the Office of Alumni Relations hosted a panel discussion this Sunday with several women from the first generation of coeducation at Dartmouth. Panelists spoke about how being a woman shaped their experiences as students at the College. Following the discussion, the representatives from each New England chapter of the fraternity gathered for the LUL Regional Informational Session to speak about their progress in carrying out their goal to "uplift the Latino community and other underrepresented groups."

Peter Roby '79 recently spoke at the Boys Conference on Athletics and Masculinity in Portland, Maine. His keynote address, entitled "Challenging the Myths of Masculinity in Athletics: A Unique Approach to Gender Violence Prevention," emphasized that while sports put a premium on being tough and part of the team, each individual must think independently.

Roby noted that violence toward women is perpetuated by a herd mentality but that a true leader will stand up and speak out. Leadership, Roby said, is characterized by communicating compassion, promoting good decision-making and respecting others. Roby challenged the audience to fight gender violence in society and presented situations that would arise in a team setting.

"When people talk about girls in a certain way that's disrespectful, you can lead by saying, 'I'm not going to go there,'" Roby said. "Being negative ends up hurting your team because people are saying things that make your team look bad. By you saying something, you're helping your team. You have your teammate's back because you're going to help him make a better decision next time."

Roby is currently the Director of Northeastern University's Center for the Study of Sport in Society.