Daily Debriefing

The residents of Hanover voted to impeach President Bush and Vice President Cheney and to rapidly withdraw troops from Iraq on Tuesday.

At a business meeting that took place at 7 p.m. and lasted four hours, roughly 400 residents gathered to discuss a variety of financial issues. The article to impeach the president, which passed by a vote of 111 to 42, as well as the article to end the occupation in Iraq, was added by petition to the meeting warrant.

During the course of the day, 1855 residents of Hanover voted on articles which primarily related to zoning ordinances. Residents supported several amendments that will slow down the rate of growth in Hanover, as well as an article that will permit building on the River Crest property off Lyme Road.

Locals also passed an article that will increase municipal taxes by 15 percent; the revenues from the tax will be used to repair the roads that were severely damaged by storms last June.

Elections for the Panhellenic Council officers for the Summer and Fall terms were held on Tuesday evening. Kate Robb '08, a member of Alpha Xi Delta sorority, was elected president and Alpha Phi sorority member Elise Krieger '08 was elected vice president.

Continuing from Spring term will be treasurer Leslie Shribman '08 of Delta Delta Delta sorority and secretary Sarah Herringer '08 from Sigma Delta sorority. For the Fall term, Tess Reeder '08, of Tri-Delt, was elected secretary and Kappa Kappa Gamma member Diana Phan '07 was elected treasurer. Lauren Kaufman '07, the council's current president and a member of Sigma Delt, will continue to serve in her position during Fall term.

"All of the women that ran were extremely qualified," Kaufman said. "The energy, experience and dedication they have to the sorority system will be a great addition to the executive council."