Daily Debriefing

While the Tim Andreadis '07, the newly elected student body president, did not make his sexual orientation a topic of his campaign, it is now earning him attention from outside Dartmouth.

A recent article in the Boston Globe described Andreadis' victory as a defining moment in the move towards tolerance and acceptance at the College. The article also labels Dartmouth as a college with a conservative streak, based on its slow move toward coeducation over thirty years ago and the presence of a "right-leaning" publication, The Dartmouth Review.

The article argues that while Andreadis, a former president of the Gay-Straight Alliance, took an important step with his election, it is what he does with the position that will be most important. The article noted a heavy workload in the future for Andreadis, pointing out some of ambitious his goals such as decreasing sexual assault on campus and retaining more female and minority faculty members.

Stephen Diao '83 has been selected to head JP Morgan's new debt origination group, which is designed to help the company compete more aggressively in the Asian debt league tables.

As head of cross border issuance for Asia-Pacific region at Barclay's Capital, Diao has become particularly well known in dealings with Korea, the Korea Development Bank, the Export-Import Bank of Korea and Korea Electric Power Corporation.

Diao's responsibilities will be expanded in this new position to include overseeing all levels of debt-issuance. He is confident in JP Morgan's ability to compete in Asia, he said in a story on the website FinanceAsia.com.

"The firm has built a quality footprint throughout the region with top-tier country and corporate industry investment bankers and they are tremendously adept at leveraging off of their sovereign, FIG and corporate relations," Diao said.

Dancing Wheels, a group that features dancers in wheel-chairs performing alongside fully mobile dancers, will celebrate its 25th anniversary this weekend. The events in honor of the occasion will include a performance by Pilobolus, a contemporary dance group founded at Dartmouth in 1971.

Pilobolus is known for its use of acrobatic elements of dance in which people often balance precariously upon one another. Mary Verdi-Fletcher, founder of Dancing Wheels, said that the acrobatic maneuvers and free spirit of the dance are especially appropriate for the group's 25th anniversary.

"When I looked at celebrating this milestone for us, I also looked at trying to foster more understanding among the general public," Verdi-Fletcher said. "Artistry really comes from within."