Daily Debriefing

The Eating Disorders Peer Advisers hosted the No Diet Day food fair in Collis Commonground from 4 to 5:30 p.m. on Monday. The advisers doled out free Ben & Jerry's ice cream, EBAs, bagels, fruits, vegetables, chocolate and baked goods to observe the May 6 International No Diet Day. The fair also gave students the opportunity to sign a contract pledging to abandon diets for one day in its mission to "celebrate healthy, balanced, non-restrictive lifestyles of eating and exercise that are good for the body and mind." International No Diet Day was started in 1992 in England by Mary Evans Young, the director of the British anti-diet campaign Diet Breakers.

Mike Bolger gave a presentation in Spanos Auditorium Monday afternoon about his experience constructing a solar-powered water system in rural Kenya. Bolger is a Middlebury graduate and a student in the Thayer School of Engineering's Masters of Engineering Management program, as well as a member of Dartmouth Engineers Without Borders. As part of D-EWB's 2005 project, seven students and one professional engineer traveled to Kenya to build a solar-powered pump to provide a rural village with a dependable clean water source. College Trustee T.J. Rodgers '70 donated the solar panels to power the system's pump.

A global health symposium will headline this summer's 43rd annual Alumni College, which will be held from August 2-6 on the Dartmouth campus and is open to the general public. Ambassador Kenneth Yalowitz, director of the John Sloan Dickey Center for International Understanding, and Stephen Spielberg, dean of Dartmouth Medical School, will lead a discussion about major pandemic threats, what health care will look like in the future and health care's effects on the environment. The Alumni College will also offer a course titled "Writing Memoirs: A Remembrance of Things Past," taught by Joe Medlicott '50, a former English professor at the University of Connecticut. Enrollment in the class is limited to 12 students. The four day event offers language immersion courses using the Rassias method, as well. The cost of the seminars will run from $350 to $575, depending on the course.