Daily Debriefing

Dartmouth's new Web site is set to go live on July 7. Work on the new site started last November under an initiative from College President James Wright, and last week the self-dubbed "HomeTeam," three staff members charged with coming up with the new look, met with about 20 staff and faculty members to discuss the design.

"Web sites get old very quick, and it has been at least four years since the previous redesign," Rick Adams, Director of Publications and Editorial Services, said. "Our site doesn't reflect the new technologies in the Web like blogs and podcasting."

The team said it has completed the research phase of the project by conducting Web visitor surveys, meeting with student, faculty and staff focus groups and analyzing Web usage to determine what people are looking at when they use the Dartmouth website. It will now work on possible designs and ask for feedback on them.

Is drinking a problem at Dartmouth? That is the question being asked by organizers of a lecture being held in 105 Dartmouth Hall tonight at 7 p.m.

The debate is one of five panels this week about alcohol at Dartmouth. This is the first time these lectures, sponsored by the College's Center on Addiction, Recovery and Education, are geared toward the campus as opposed to medical professionals studying alcohol abuse, according to alcohol peer adviser Kelly Michaelsen '06.

Michaelsen said the goal is not to tell people to drink less, but to get them talking about alcohol.

"It's basically to say, 'This is what things are like,'" she said.

On Tuesday, there will be a panel on minority drinking at 6:30 p.m. in Moore B03. On Wednesday, a debate on the drinking age is set for 7 p.m. in 105 Dartmouth Hall. On Thursday, a Dartmouth medical student will talk about alcohol's effects at noon in Tindle Lounge. Also Thursday, alcohol and its connection with rape is the topic of a panel at 7 p.m in Carson LO2.

Catherine Tucker '93 has a new job helping fight fraud in New Hampshire. In a position newly created by the state because of a backlog of these often complex cases, the Concord Monitor reports Tucker will work with the state insurance and attorney general's offices to try to stop people from cheating their insurance companies.

Tucker has also worked as an assistant district attorney in Boston and holds a law degree from Suffolk University.

"I just fell in love with the work," she told the Monitor about her work in the law. "It was so great to be able to help the community and to have the ability to the right thing."