Tuck seeks to boost Indian enrollment

In January, Dean of Tuck Paul Danos and Vijay Govindarajan, professor and director of Tuck's Center for Global Leadership, traveled to Indian cities Chennai, Mumbai and New Delhi to host admissions receptions, networking events and press meetings.

"We consider India a strategic market and want to invest in India to build a strong brand there in order to attract the high caliber human capital to Tuck. Not only do Indian students have top-notch educational preparation but they speak good English, a wonderful combination that makes Indian students shine at Tuck," Govindarajan said.

Interest in Indian students is not new, as the number enrolled at Tuck has risen recently.

"Over the past several years, interest from prospective students in India has risen significantly. Ten years ago, there were one or two Indian students in a class of 240," Tuck Director of Public Relations Kim Keating said. "Today there are 17 in each class, and Indians are the biggest international community at Tuck."

As part of the Initiative, Indian students involved in the Tuck Ambassador Program have helped significantly. The Tuck Ambassador Program involves over 40 students who help the Administration expand Tuck's brand in their respective countries, according to Keating.

In the last month, the Indian ambassadors planned and hosted receptions for prospective students in Bangalore, Kolkata, Mumbai and New Delhi.

With three of this year's four application rounds finished, Tuck has already received 14 percent more Indian applications than last year's total. The total number of applications has increased this year by approximately 40 percent.

The school has also opened an administrative office in New Delhi and hired Gautam Mahajan to serve as its on-site representative. Mahajan will interview applicants, participate in corporate recruiting, assist with Executive Education programs and host other events in India.

"Tuck is not well known in India. In spite of this, Tuck gets many applicants from India. Most of these are engineers with some work experience," Mahajan said. "We want to broaden the base and have the best and brightest applying."

"Global Leadership 2020," Tuck's primary Executive Education consortium, held a week-long module in Chennai this January as part of an intensive three-part series.

Govindarajan led the module, which explored the subjects of conducting business in an emerging market, technology, global strategy and organizational DNA for rule changers.

Govindarajan said that he hopes the initiative strengthens all students' knowledge of India's role in the dynamic global marketplace.

"India is going to be one of the big markets of the future and our students must understand this market inside out. By bringing the best students from India, we actually educate everyone here about the exciting opportunities and frustrating problems in India. This is part of Tuck's mission to remain globally relevant," he said.

Especially after The Wall Street Journal and Forbes Magazine recognized Tuck as the top business school in the world, Tuck is pushing its international appeal by sending admissions officers to 11 cities throughout Europe, Asia and Canada this year.

"We are working in and reaching out to many countries with our student Ambassador Program, and Tuck will continue to visit countries around the world with admissions, the dean and for public relations visits," Keating said. "We also plan to launch similar initiatives in Mexico and Europe this spring."