Club sport support, NRO debated before Student Assembly

The resolution to establish a Club Sports Commission called for the creation of a student delegation to examine the club sports program's organization, policies and finances. The commission would then publish a report to the student body on the current state of club sports at the College.

The Assembly's resolution follows President Wright's allocation of an additional $30,000 to the club sports budget last fall. Sponsored by Student Body President Noah Riner '06 and Karan Danthi '07, the resolution stated that "the issues affecting the club sports program are not limited to finances and include facilities, organization and athletic department policy."

According to Adam Sigelman '05, captain of the men's ultimate frisbee team, the system is extremely outdated.

"The program keeps growing year after year but we basically have a system in place for what it was like 30 years ago. The budget is obviously a big issue, but it's very difficult for us to get facilities, too," he said. "We all think we are right here, but we want the facts behind us."

Sigelman also addressed the fact that there are currently close to 1,000 club sports student-athletes and an additional nine teams trying to be recognized as College-supported club sports, a point that was further emphasized by women's lacrosse captain Mary Beth Westerman '08.

"We are a club sport in everything but name," Westerman said. "We have a game schedule but we would have to wear 'Artmouth' on our uniforms."

The proposed commission would include students, faculty and administrators from the athletic department selected by the Assembly's Membership and Internal Affairs Committee. The resolution passed without opposition or abstention.

The Assembly's resolution to support and encourage the non-recording option, sponsored by Dean Drizin '06 and Elizabeth Silvey '08, called for departments to expand their NRO course offerings.

The resolution recognized that the NRO encourages students to try new classes and enroll in difficult or risky courses without worrying about their academic records. It went on to state that "the Student Assembly disapproves of the decision made by the Art History, Government, Music and Studio Art departments to identify all courses as out-of-bounds," and then encouraged those departments to reconsider their policies.

Voting members also elected Ruslan Tovbulotov '09 as the new treasurer from a nomination pool including Martha Canning '09, Allen Buansi '09, and Nathan Niparko '09.