'Big Green Bus' on display in NYC

The bus parked prominently on the main pedestrian mall at Columbia, a location comparable to the middle of the Green, where the environmentally-friendly bus has been known to park at Dartmouth.

"A lot of people asked about the bus, both students and random people. The reaction was pretty good ... the majority of people came over to say it was pretty cool," Craig Rubens '06 said.

Approximately twice as many Dartmouth students as last year attended the fair to learn about environmental employment, internship and graduate school opportunities. Attendees expressed satisfaction with the fair's organization and the variety of employers, ranging from the Environmental Protection Agency to the Peace Corps to environmental engineering firms.

"There's the political-science end, the policy end and the science end of the spectrum, and they had pretty much the full range," Linn said.

The fair offered students an opportunity to make contact with the employers and graduate schools and learn about each of the organizations.

"I got something out of it. Probably not a job, but at least the experience of going around and trying to sell myself to companies and also trying to figure out what the companies were actually about and what they were offering me," Rubens said.

According to Linn, many of the companies and organizations were geared toward New York and northeast environmental issues, making it hard for students who sought information about opportunities elsewhere. Despite this, Linn said several organizations committed to forward her resume to branches in Oakland.

"The fair probably would have been more helpful to seniors, but it was still definitely worth it for juniors to go," Linn said. "It's never too early to start."

Because the fair focused specifically on environmental opportunities, it offered more to students interested in the environment than Dartmouth's career fair held in October, which hosted a range of employers from all fields.

"If we can't bring all those employers to campus, we're delighted we can bring all the students to them," Skip Sturman, director of Career Services, said. He added that the Dartmouth Environmental Alumni Network helped with much of the cost of sending students to the fair.

"We certainly get a good sampling of organizations that represent the environment at [our] fair, but the reason that they're getting so many organizations in New York today is that there are hundreds of students there," Sturman said.

A representative from Thayer School of Engineering Career Services attended the fair this year to entice some of the organizations to attend Dartmouth's career fair in October.