Garland, Tejera tapped to head The D

Beginning next term, Kevin Garland '07 and Dax Tejera '07 will take over as editor-in-chief and publisher of The Dartmouth, the newspaper's current directorate announced at the organization's annual Changeover ceremony Saturday evening at Casque and Gauntlet senior society.

For the 2006 calendar year, the leadership structure of The Dartmouth will return to a model that was in place prior to 1994. The position of president will be split into the roles of the editor-in-chief, who will head The Dartmouth's production side, and the publisher, who will serve as chief of the business side. This two-tiered structure is a more traditional pattern for governing a newspaper, Tejera said.

Tejera expects that the transition will help strengthen both the business and production sides of the newspaper while maintaining The Dartmouth's current high journalistic standards.

Garland, an environmental studies and economics double major from Sedona, Ariz., and a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, is currently studying in South Africa on the environmental studies foreign study program. Garland began reporting for The Dartmouth during his freshman year and has since been a news editor and design and graphics editor on the staff.

Tejera, a history and government double major from Miami, Fla., began work as a reporter for The Dartmouth during his freshman fall and has served as a news editor on the staff. A member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, Tejera is currently studying in London on the history foreign study program.

Garland and Tejera will lead a staff of 155 students and take the reins from The Dartmouth's current president, Colin Barry '06. Incoming executive editors Caroline McKenzie '07 and Ben Taylor '07 will replace Zach Goldstein '06 and Matthew Kelly '06, joining Garland in overseeing the newspaper's production. The business side of the paper is currently headed by Alexandra Amrhein '06 and Matt Slaine '06.

Managing editors Jessica Chen '07 and Mark Henle '07 will succeed Mark Herman '06 and Megan Spillane '06 to lead the news section.

Barry spoke highly of the paper's new executive board.

"I have full confidence in the diverse and capable group that will guide The Dartmouth through the coming year," Barry said. "They are ideally equipped to ensure that our paper continues to be incisive, insightful and relevant to our reader's lives."

Garland and Tejera said they hope to build on the success and excellence of the previous directorate.

"Personally, I'm committed to ensuring that our newspaper remains financially secure and that we reach the broadest and most diverse readership possible," Tejera said. "I look forward to working with Kevin and the rest of the production team to come to a consensus on how we can make our product even better than it already is."

The members of the new directorate were selected in an application process that included a series of essays and questions regarding their involvement and dedication to The Dartmouth, Barry said.

Barry took time to reflect on his own experience with The Dartmouth.

"My colleagues and my friends defined my time at The Dartmouth," Barry said. "I am honored to have worked alongside such perceptive, driven and caring people."

Current opinion editor Julia Bernstein '07 will retain her position on the Dartmouth's senior staff during next year's Spring and Fall terms. Ben Selznick '07 will hold the position during the Winter term.

Current assistant arts editor Frances Cha '07 will replace John Kim '06 as arts editor. In addition, assistant sports editor Ben Reed '07 will take the place of Lindsay Barnes '06 as sports editor. Emma Haberman '08 and Jeewon Kim '07 will replace Samantha Ceppos '06 and Kate Berry '06 as photography editors, and Nova Robinson '08 will take over from Rebecca Houck '06 as editor of The Dartmouth Mirror.

In addition to announcing the new leadership team, the current executive board used the Changeover ceremony as an opportunity to recognize the contribution of reporters.

Rebecca Rombom '08 received the staff writer of the year award. In addition, freshmen staff members Astrid Bradley, Amanda Cohen, Katy O'Donnell, Kawa Amina, A.J. Fox, Jordan Rose, Dan Chiu, Alice Kogan and Lauren Indvik were recognized for their outstanding contribution to The Dartmouth during their first term with the newspaper. Jennifer Garfinkel '08 and Sarah Shaw '08 also received awards for their contributions as staff photographers.