Big Green sailors showcase skills during weekend regattas

The Dartmouth sailing team hit the water this weekend and once again demonstrated why they have been consistently ranked amongst the top ten teams in the nation for five years running.

Erik Storck '07 and Killarney Loufek '07 showcased their superior skills at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy this weekend. The two juniors took the regatta by storm, jumping out to an early lead of 25 points on Saturday, placing below fourth in only four of the 12 races sailed that day. Dominance has truly become a trademark of the Storck/Loufek boat.

In B-division competition, Todd Whitehead '06, Ben Sampson '08, Christina Duncan '06 and Laura Sheinkopf '07 sailed into a 12th place overall finish. Dartmouth completed the weekend in 3rd place overall, just five points behind second place finisher, University of Hawaii. The Big Green successfully qualified for the Atlantic Coast Championships this coming weekend.

The Dartmouth women gracefully surpassed even their male counterparts, winning their second major event in just as many weeks. Emily East '06, Kate Hacker '07, Adele Whilhem '08 and Betsy Bryant '08 out-sailed the other 18 boats on the line to win the Regis Bowl at Boston University this weekend. The women beat second place Harvard by nine points. Once again, the lady green has established itself as the team to beat in the Northeast. Next weekend the team competes at the Naval Academy in arguably the largest and most competitive women's regatta of the season.

Elsewhere this weekend, sailors Luke Hathaway '08 and Teryn Williams '08 won a tiebreaker to take the A-division competition at Boston College's Metro Series regatta, while Andrew Geffken '08 and Anne Megargel '09 placed fifth in the B-division, only a single point from second place. Dartmouth placed third overall.

The Penobscot Bay Open at the Maine Maritime Academy featured a fifth place finish by sailors Erik Johnson '06, Tegan Vay '07, Karl Johnson '06 and Charlotte Lord '06. The team looks to continue its solid performance next weekend at the Ivy Championships at Dartmouth, the Women's Navy Fall, the Southern Series Five and the Hap Moore Trophy regatta.