Wilson to plead not guilty in Willis-Starbuck murder

Christopher Wilson, the 20-year-old California resident accused of murdering Meleia Willis-Starbuck '07, postponed entering a plea on the charge of homicide when he was arraigned last week in Hayward, Calif.

Wilson, a friend of the slain Dartmouth junior, has been released on $326,000 bail and is due back at Alameda County Superior Court on Oct. 4 to enter a plea, which Wilson's attorney Elizabeth Grossman said would be "not guilty."

Berkeley, Calif., police believe that Wilson played the role of getaway driver after the July 17 shooting that took Willis-Starbuck's life. An arrest warrant has been issued for 21-year-old Christopher Hollis, who police believe fired the shot that killed the Dartmouth junior. Hollis is still at large.

According to police, Willis-Starbuck and a few friends became involved in an argument with a few male students that night, after which Willis-Starbuck allegedly called her friend Hollis for help. District Attorney John Adams said that witnesses heard Willis-Starbuck tell Hollis to "bring the heat."

Wilson allegedly drove Hollis to the scene, where Hollis fired into the crowd, killing his friend.

Police have already announced that Wilson has confessed to the crime, but Grossman said that he has no plans to plead guilty.

Grossman said during Wilson's arraignment that her client was unaware of Hollis' intentions when driving him to the scene of the argument.

The court has forbidden Wilson from carrying a cellular telephone or a pager. He also must be inside his home between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m., except on Tuesdays when he is allowed to attend his Vista Community College night class at 9 p.m.