Prominent politicans, musicians visit, enliven College

Despite its reputation as a rural campus miles from any sign of civilization, Dartmouth has nevertheless attracted an array of celebrities to campus, from talented musical artists to high-ranking politicians.

The Commencement and Reunion period is a particularly attractive time for big names to stop by Hanover, as prominent figures have delivered keynote speeches to the graduating classes, and others have received honorary degrees.

This past June, former news anchor Tom Brokaw delivered real world advice to the Class of 2005, asking students to draw on past challenges such as 9/11 to face the responsibilities of entering the "real world."

"You inherit a priceless honor of duty, of country, of citizenship. Cherish it," Brokaw said. "Return here someday to say, I did my share, and make your own claim to greatness."

President Bill Clinton's Commencement address in 1995 was another notable commencement speech. With a turnout exceeding all previous commencements, planners had to relocate to a larger arena for the graduating ceremony.

In his speech to the Class of 1995, Clinton praised the merits and importance of education in today's society.

"If you live in a wealthy country and you don't have an education, you are in trouble," he said. "We cannot walk away from our obligation to invest in the education of every American at every age."

Franklin D. Roosevelt, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Walt Whitman, Robert Frost, Leonard Bernstein and Walter Cronkite highlight the long list of prominent speakers who have graced Commencement platforms.

Dartmouth's active and enthusiastic student body has long held a significant amount of appeal, as politicians from both sides of the aisle venture to Hanover to tap the energy of tomorrow's political leaders.

Many campaiging candidates come to Dartmouth's doorstep every four years, hoping to attract support in New Hampshire's first-in-the-nation primary. During the 2004 primary season, all of the major Democratic presidential primary candidates made appearances at Dartmouth, including multiple visits by Senator John Kerry, former Vermont Governor Howard Dean, Senator John Edwards and Gen. Wesley Clark.

New Hampshire's divided voters also ensured repeated visits following the primaries, as both candidates tried to secure the swing state's four electoral votes. Both Bush and Kerry held rallies in Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, N.H. Kerry's immediate family members came to Dartmouth to rally the students, while First Lady Laura Bush and Jenna Bush appeared in Lebanon to rally community members.

With the candidates also came a slew of celebrities stumping for their chosen candidates including songwriting legend Carole King, "Fahrenheit 9/11" director Michael Moore and even "Late Nite with Conan O'Brien" bandleader Max Weinberg. CNN also rolled into the Hopkins Center one afternoon to broadcast their daily debate show "Crossfire" featuring pundits Paul Begala and Tucker Carlson.

These appearances were not without precedent, as previous elections have brought a similar crowd of famous names to Dartmouth.

President Reagan Reagan first came to Dartmouth in 1976 while campaigning in the Republican primaries, answering questions about issues at the time, including foreign aid and the South African government.

The first presidential debate at the College was held in January 1984, as Democratic candidates assembled in Spaulding Auditorium to voice opposition to sitting President Reagan.

In 1992, President Clinton and Dartmouth alumnus Peter Tsongas '62 spoke to a crowd of students in Alumni Hall. In a campaign speech, Clinton promised to become the "Education President," to cut middle-class taxes, fight trade laws and introduce an overarching healthcare plan.

In 2000, former Sen. Bill Bradley and Vice President Al Gore staged a televised debate in the Moore Theater in the Hopkins Center as television trucks flooded the streets of Hanover drawing massive crowds to Wheelock Street to watch the candidates arrive.

At the same time, College Republicans have successfully brought well-known Republican names to campus, including former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and current Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist.

Frist, a former surgeon, made a campaign visit for Bush during the 2004 election season, speaking at the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center about the future of American healthcare. He emphasized the need to limit litigation in the healthcare arena which is "drumming doctors out of the practice of medicine and decreasing access to health carer."

Even after elections, many unsuccessful candidates find Dartmouth an attractive way-station, before moving on to different political careers.

Dean spent about a week at Dartmouth last July as a Rockefeller Center distinguished visiting fellow. In several forums and classroom visits, Dean expressed dissatisfaction with the Bush administration and encouraged political participation.

"The current administration has the lowest standard of ethics since the presidency of Warren Hardin," he said. "Most of them are charming people, [and] it's not what they say but what they're doing to the country."

Jeffrey Smith, who ran for Dick Gephardt's open seat in Missouri's Third District during this past election season, became a visiting government professor after an unsucessful Democratic primary race.

"When people talk about liberal bias in colleges, that's me," Smith said, to introduce himself jokingly at the start of Summer term classes.

Non-political celebrities have also been eager to capitalize on the small college town. The Programming Board usually sponsors a concert each term, bringing famous artists and bands to campus. Recent examples include Maroon 5, Dashboard Confessional, O.A.R., Talib Kweli, Counting Crows, Busta Rhymes and Ben Folds.