Career fair attracts over 100 employers

Sporting pressed oxford shirts and cuffed khaki pants, students shuffled up the stairs of the Hopkins Center Tuesday to browse jobs and collect free samples at this year's Employer Connections Fair.

The two-day fair, which Career Services organizes each year to give students an opportunity to explore career options, features display booths for more than a hundred employers, including Goldman, Sachs and Co.; McKinsey and Abercrombie and Fitch.

Susanne Delaney, a representative of the Peace Corps who has attended the fair for the past three years, said she was floored again by the turnout.

"Dartmouth's career fair is one of the best organized fairs, and it is the [best] not-for-profit fair in the region," Delaney said.

Liz Acord '05, who represented Cancer Treatment Centers of America, learned about her organization while attending Dartmouth's career fair as a student in 2004.

"After dealing with career services at other schools, I'm impressed with Dartmouth," Acord said.

Many students shared a positive impression of the fair, which was not as overcrowded as last year's event.

"I found it well organized, professional and very helpful," Abigail Adams '06 said.

Career Services made a concerted effort this year to attract a wide range of employers, Monica Wilson, assistant director of employer relations, said.

Wilson proudly recalled her successful pursuit of three private healthcare consulting firms, as well as a near-miss with major television network ESPN.

"When ESPN showed interest, I followed up eight to 10 times, but they declined in the end," Wilson said.

Despite Career Services' efforts, some students expressed frustration at what they saw as a lack of variety among the fields represented at the fair.

Chris Thomas '06, a mathematics major, said he went to the fair looking for computer-oriented companies but instead found most of the employers were from consulting and investment banking firms.

"I don't think computer-oriented companies were present at all. The only company that interested me in regards to computers was the CIA," Thomas said.

Of the 36 for-profit employers at the fair on Tuesday, 21 identified themselves as dealing with finance or consulting. A similar makeup is expected in today's fair.

Libby Hadzima '06 also complained about the limited employer diversity at the fair, noting a shortage of public-sector employers.

"It seems like there are not-for-profit organizations and private companies, with very little in between," she said.

To get the most out of the fair, Wilson said students should research companies and dress appropriately. Wilson cited representatives in the past who have complained that students are shy. She suggested that students confidently approach the recruiters and ask questions.

"No question is too stupid," Wilson said.

The fair continues today from noon to 4 p.m. with a new selection of employer booths at the Top of the Hop and in Alumni Hall.