Associate VP leaves for Smith College

Recently appointed as the head of fundraising for the all-female Smith College in Northampton, Mass., Associate Vice President for Development Patricia Jackson will leave Hanover to pursue her new job Sept. 1.

During her four years at Dartmouth, Jackson coordinated a comprehensive fund-raising effort with individuals, foundations and corporations, which will leave a legacy, Vice President for Development Carrie Pelzel said.

"I hired her to come to Dartmouth about four years ago to help us get ready for the [Campaign for the Dartmouth Experience], and she did a wonderful job," Pelzel said. "Trish was very helpful in recruiting some wonderful leaders to come into the Development office, and she was effective in working with our partners on campus, in describing the priorities that would be focused on in the campaign."

Officially launched in 2004, the Campaign for the Dartmouth Experience is a College-wide fundraising effort to lend resources to all aspects of Dartmouth, from the building of Kemeny Hall and the McLaughlin dormitory cluster to the renovation of Alumni Gym to furthering financial aid for Dartmouth's need-blind admissions policy.

Having raised in excess of $580 million so far, the College is almost half-finished with its $1.3 billion goal.

As a graduate of a women's college herself, and having previously worked at institutions with predominantly female constituencies, Jackson cited personal reasons for her decision to return to such an environment.

With the new appointment, Jackson also has the opportunity to work closer to her husband, a professor at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, Mass.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed all of my time at Dartmouth," Jackson said. "I am confident that Smith would not have considered me without my Dartmouth experience."

According to Pelzel, Jackson's position will not be filled by one person, but rather by a management team already in place within the development office. Jackson's position will be divided into four components -- individual giving, organizational giving, the Dartmouth College Fund and principal giving.

Ann Root Keith, who will be stepping up as associate vice president, will cover the individual giving portion. Senior Philanthropic Advisor Jerry Nunnally will oversee organizational giving.

Other members of the management team include Sylvia Racca, executive director of the Dartmouth College Fund, and Elizabeth Spencer, the director of principal giving, who works directly with donors who make very large gifts to the College.

The strong management team will be able to continue Jackson's work and lead the Campaign to success, Pelzel said. Jackson leaves to fill a recently vacated post, as her predecessor, Karin George, left Smith to pursue private consulting.

"I leave with very bittersweet feelings," Jackson said. "[Dartmouth] is a hard place to leave."