Willis-Starbuck killed early Sunday

WEB UPDATE, July 18, 12:06 a.m.

Meleia Willis-Starbuck '07 was gunned down early Sunday morning in Berkeley, Ca., outside her apartment.

Willis-Starbuck was shot by an unidentified man who exited a vehicle, fired multiple gunshots at Willis-Starbuck and a group of friends and then drove away, Berkeley police said. She was the only one injured and reportedly died at the scene.

The incident occurred at 1:45 a.m. following an argument between Willis-Starbuck's friends and a group of male students. Police have yet to say whether the argument was related to the shooting. Friends of Willis-Starbuck said the dispute was harmless teasing and had ended shortly before a car drove by and the gunman fired.

A sociology and African American studies double major, Willis-Starbuck had returned to her hometown for the Summer term to complete an internship at a women's center that provides advice, meals and support to homeless women and children, according to the organization's website.

At the College, Willis-Starbuck was a member of the African-American Society, the Dartmouth Alliance for Children of Color and the Dartmouth College Greens. She was 19 years old.