Tubestock festivities pass without incident

Although hundreds of undergraduates descended upon the Connecticut River Saturday for Tubestock, the annual Summer term festivity concluded without major incident.

According to College Proctor Harry Kinne, several students suffered minor injuries but no Dartmouth students were arrested or picked up by Safety and Security.

Because the College does not sponsor the off-campus event, only four Safety and Security officers were assigned special duties -- two on a rescue boat and two controlling access to parking by the Ledyard Canoe Club.

"It's not a college event but our main concerns are student safety," Senior Associate Dean of the College Daniel Nelson said. "We're always concerned about student safety."

Law enforcement for the event fell mainly to the Norwich Police, the New Hampshire Marine Patrol and the New Hampshire Liquor Commission.

The Norwich Police posted 16 officers on the river Saturday. Their objective was to ensure student safety rather than arbitrarily enforce laws, according to Officer Robert Brittner of the Norwich Police Department.

"Students are realizing more and more each year that we're there not to harass them, but we're there for safety," Brittner said. "We're strict when it comes to safety, not that strict when it comes to walking in the roadway."

With no major injuries or arrests, this year's Tubestock was relatively tame. Arrests have been common in years past, according to Brittner, who has monitored the event for 17 years.

"A few '06s said it was more mellow than last year, but everyone I've talked to had a great time and we got lucky with amazing weather," Greek Leadership Council Public Relations Chair Rachel Hamilton '07 said.

Local complaints regarding the weekend largely came from Norwich residents with homes along the Connecticut River, who complained of leftover debris that students failed to clean up fully until Monday morning.

"The one concern for this year was the amount of debris that was left around," Nelson said. Kinne added that the situation was solved without restraint.

"We made some calls and people came down and cleaned up the area pretty well," Kinne said.

Students leaders cooperated extensively with the Norwich and Hanover police departments to ensure the event took place without incident. Coed, Fraternity and Sorority organizations also engaged in planning to ensure minimum liability during the weekend.

Each Greek house posted two sober monitors to care for intoxicated students and took other additional precautions to ensure the safety of all its members.

"I helped with the repairing and moving of the raft," Sigma Alpha Epsilon Risk Manager Daniel Villone '07 said. "I made sure that the raft was in deep-enough water to avoid people hurting themselves."