Throngs of 'campers' help finance campus facilities

Sophomores who may have expected the campus to feel less crowded during the Summer term are often surprised by long lines at the dining halls and crowds in the library. "Campers," as Dartmouth students commonly refer to the various groups of people occupying Dartmouth in the summer, have descended Hanover for a multitude of reasons -- from debate camp to lacrosse practice.

Despite enrollment consisting mostly of members from the Class of 2007, Dartmouth is currently at full capacity. Offering over 60 summer programs each year, ranging in size from nine to 320 people, the College caters to a wide variety of summer activities, including academic conferences, summer sports camps, residential programs and day camps.

"It makes me feel like I'm back in high school," Danielle Strollo '07 said, in reference to the presence of younger students on campus.

According to Ann Munves Malenka, director of conferences and special events, the camps and conferences generate a significant amount of revenue for the College, which allows sophomore summer to be available for students.

Besides the 949 currently enrolled sophomores, there are 149 other enrolled students, ranging from members of the Classes of 2001 to 2008, College Registrar Polly Griffin told The Dartmouth. Malenka said that with only about 1,100 students in Hanover, there are not enough resources to keep the campus running smoothly without additional revenue.

"[Camps and conferences] are a great way to use the residence halls that would otherwise be empty," Malenka said. "As to Dining Services, they would not be able to keep as many of the dining options open or open as many hours."

With a busier campus than Dartmouth students would create on their own, Malenka said the different activities create a situation in which everyone benefits. Some students, however, are skeptical of the situation as the term progresses.

"The campers can actually be surprisingly loud on third-floor Berry," Alison Riep '07 said. "They really haven't interfered with my work so far, but I could see it being more of a problem during midterms and finals, when the library is usually packed."

However, enrolled students have yet to complain about issues such as these, Malenka noted.

"Everyone's very careful to make sure students come first, but this way we can use the full physical plant," she said.

Dartmouth does not have any programs that are specifically designed to recruit high school students who are shopping for their future school. According to Malenka, the College nevertheless hopes that many students looking at different institutions will use the opportunities presented by on-campus summer programs to give Dartmouth a more thorough glance.

"It's a great way to come to campus to see what it's like," Malenka said. "My guess is that many youngsters come and fall in love with Dartmouth."

Riep, who participated in a Nike tennis camp at Dartmouth, agreed, and said that she made her college choice based on her experiences at the camp.

Despite the time it may take for students to adjust to the current campus situation, Malenka believes that the campus benefits overall. Many students agree that the experience of sophomore summer is worth the inconvenience of sharing the campus.

"Even though they flood Food Court at certain hours of the day," Strollo said, "I'm glad Dartmouth is making money so we can have sophomore summer."