Police anticipate Tubestock weekend

Despite the inherent risks posed by inebriated undergraduates floating down the Connecticut River during this Saturday's Tubestock, Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone said he does not plan to escalate security in anticipation of the annual tradition.

Unlike Green Key and Homecoming weekends, Tubestock is not officially recognized by the College. Although there is no formal organization to the weekend -- centered around a day-long party on the Connecticut River -- the Hanover and Norwich police departments and students are collaborating to ensure the event runs smoothly.

According to Senior Associate Dean of the College Daniel Nelson, students will be held responsible for their behavior during Tubestock as they would be any other weekend.

"Dartmouth students are responsible for their conduct as long as they're Dartmouth students, whether behavior happens on campus or on the other side of town," Nelson said. "It's not a College event and so the College doesn't have any responsibility for planning it, but we do encourage students to exercise good judgment, take care of one another, respect laws regarding conduct and also to respect the landowners along the river."

According to Giaccone, the safety issues for Tubestock involve "the usual concerns of an overindulgence in alcohol and being out on the water."

Giaccone stated that Hanover Police will not be taking more than routine measures to provide for student safety and noted that problems during Tubestock in the past, as well as complaints from the surrounding community, have been minimal.

He admitted concern over underage drinking, which he said is more blatant during sophomore summer than during other terms.

"If the majority of them are sophomores, then the majority of them are underage as far as alcohol consumption goes, and if a student chooses to drink too much and it comes to the attention of the police, they could be charged," Giaccone said.

The Greek Leadership Council is collaborating with local law enforcement by recruiting two sober monitors from each Greek house to act as a buffer between students and police.

"If the police were to see someone with a problem or pick up someone who has been drinking irresponsibly...the police would prefer to leave the student in care of the sober monitor in that house or in that area," GLC public relations manager Rachel Hamilton '07 said.

GLC social events coordinator Brendan Neff '07 said he has met with the Norwich Police Department and other law enforcement agencies twice this term.

"They don't necessarily want to arrest anybody, they just want the event to run smoothly, be safe and not be a big publicity issue," Neff said. "There's going to be a fairly sizeable police presence -- part of that because there will be a lot of groups working together and partly because the police just enjoy this event. They want to make sure everything stays safe, and maybe have a good time."

The Taste of Dartmouth block party held on Webster Avenue on Friday afternoon will kick-off the weekend.

According to summer Student Assembly Vice President David Zubricki '07, all of the Greek houses along Webster Avenue have offered to barbecue for the event and will be reimbursed up to $100 for providing whatever food they choose.

Food will also be provided by various cultural and ethnic organizations on campus, such as the Afro-American Society.

Three student bands will perform at the event -- the Pants, Malandro and Cheese's Band.

In planning Taste of Dartmouth, Zubricki said he hoped to "bring the class together and really have a campus-wide event."