'09 stars on reality TV show 'The Scholar'

The Class of 2009 has some extra star power thanks to an incoming freshman who secured a role on a new ABC reality television show. Scot Parsley '09 has joined the legions of reality show stars in ABC's newest offering, "The Scholar," which pits ten high school students against each other vying for a scholarship to their dream school.

Parsley was one of ten contestants who took part in the show's team challenges and faced weekly panels of admissions officers to compete for $50,000 scholarships and the ultimate prize of a full scholarship valued at $240,000. Parsley ended the show with $50,000 and a number of gifts.

Like the other contestants, Parsley was a talented high school student but came from a less than privileged background. He boasted 4.0 GPA and an SAT score of 1580.

Parsley, who worked multiple jobs to save money for college, applied to the show the day before the deadline.

"I sent the application online and just on a whim because I needed the money," Parsley said. "I needed the scholarship so it seemed as good a way as any."

Despite the potential of winning money to ease the financial burden of college, Parsley said his friends were hesitant about his appearance on a reality TV show.

"Some of my friends were against it," Parsley said. "They thought it was a bad idea and thought 'You are going to wear a dress and eat pig stuff. Why do you want to do that?'"

Parsley's parents, however, were more supportive of their son's quest. After the contest, Parsley said he was glad to have been a part of the challenge.

"I mean I won a $50,000 scholarship," he said. "It was a good experience and I'm glad I did it."

Taping for the show began in January at the University of Southern California, where contestants spent two weeks living together.

While Parsley said he enjoyed the experience and got along with his roommates, he added that the constant presence of the other competitors became tiresome.

"It was tough living in the house, there was no way to get away," he said. "I still talk to [the other contestants] but being in the house for two weeks straight, tensions start to float up."

Parsley added that he was relieved that his moments of frustration "didn't make it to the air."

As he prepares for his arrival in Hanover this September, Parsley said he feels like any other freshman and has not been overcome by any expectations of fame.

"I cut my hair after we finished filming, so I haven't been recognized. Everyone who knew me knew I was on the show, but I haven't been recognized by people who didn't know me," Parsley said.

"I'd rather just have a normal college experience than people be like 'Hey aren't you that kid that was on that show,'" he added.

Parsley had acceptances from a number of universities including Princeton, Yale, Duke, New York University and Washington University at St. Louis, but decided to attend Dartmouth after visiting during Dimensions Weekend during Spring term.

"I didn't have any clue [where I was going]," Parsley said. "When I visited Dartmouth it was a fabulous experience. Every one of the students there were willing to help out, and I thought that was really cool. It was a whole different experience."

Parsley said he is not particularly apprehensive about attending college even in the light of his high-profile scholarship endeavor.

"I'm not too worried about it," Parsley said. "If I was going to Harvard where people are notoriously rude and nasty I would be worried, but it's Dartmouth and everyone is friendly.

"There's a bit of nervousness and trepidation that comes with doing something new," he added, "but it's college for one thing and then it's Dartmouth for another -- I mean what's not to look forward to."

"The Scholar" airs on ABC Mondays at 8 p.m.