Tuck professor aids 'Trump University'

Tuck Business School professor John Vogel recently teamed up with Donald Trump and Tuck graduate Michael Sexton Tu '04 to create an online course for the new Trump University.

A nationally renowned businessman, Trump has received even more public attention lately for his hit television series, "The Apprentice." This new online university hopes to capitalize on the well-known Trump brand name by attracting a wide audience, Sexton said.

"'The Apprentice' is an education show," Vogel said in reference to the viciously competitive NBC reality program.

"There was an opportunity to expand that educational mission by creating online courses. Donald liked the idea and hired Michael to do it," Vogel said.

Trump had similar ideas about an online university when Sexton approached him.

"We share a same set of values, a same vision for what Trump University has the potential to become as an educational resource," Sexton said.

The next step required getting capable people to design courses for Trump University, so Sexton contacted Vogel about four months ago to create a real estate offering.

Sexton chose Vogel because of his reputation in the business real estate academic sector, his peer recommendations and his "great memories of professor Vogel as a teacher."

Vogel emphasized the need for sound academics to help jump start Trump University.

"[Sexton's] thought was that Donald Trump has many brilliant ideas, but is not the type of person who is going to sit down and design a course. He doesn't have time or a lot of experience in developing courses, so he was looking for someone who does have experience," Vogel said.

Online learning has been an interest of Vogel's for some time, and he hopes that Trump's "money and contacts" can provide an opportunity to create worthwhile online learning.

The first two-week session of the real estate course began last Friday and has progressed well, according to Sexton. The company refuses to release actual enrollment numbers, however.

Vogel did not feel his connection to Trump University conflicted with his work nor the prestigious nature of Tuck. He said the online university differs from the highly ranked business school, which perhaps has a more well-established reputation.

"I think [Trump University is] complementary. I think it's an opportunity to reach two different audiences. I do get to control the quality of the course, and I get to reach a very large audience and hopefully give them very good advice," Vogel said. "I don't think Trump University will ever be as prestigious as Tuck, but I think it will have broad appeal."

Sexton underscored this sentiment, stating that a likely student for Trump University will probably not want to spend two years at Tuck.

"It's a small group of people who are willing and can make that investment," Sexton said.

The Tuck graduate also noted the debatable nature of a prestigious institution.

"Prestige means different things to different people. Trump University doesn't have the same appeal as Tuck, clearly, but among the other 99 percent of the world, I think the Trump brand means something pretty special," he said.

Trump himself is the main advertising and recruiting tool on their website, with his face and name featured in all corners of the site.

Vogel affirmed that students receive something very special when they come to Tuck, but said that Trump University can offer working professionals, who value education, more opportunities through online learning.

"The class room covers a broader range of topics and tries to build an analytic frame work and a problem solving approach to real estate issues. Whereas the online courses give you the information you need for a very specific problem," Vogel said. "My real estate course tends to be very hands on."

Components of the online course include video lectures, online text and permanent reference-material for students entering into real estate.