Police Blotter: "Best of" Edition

Jan. 30, Mass Row, 1:45 a.m.

Safety and Security called Hanover Police after catching Joseph Lauinger, a 19-year-old student at Georgetown University, drinking in Hitchcock Hall. He was arrested for unlawful possession and possession of false identification. Lauinger was then placed in the back of an ambulance to be transported to the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. En route to the hospital, Lauinger put the ambulance attendant in a headlock and repeatedly banged his head against the sides of the ambulance. The driver pulled over, called the police and then wrestled Lauinger off of the victim. Police then arrested the youth for simple assault.

Feb. 7, Lyme Road, 3:50 a.m.

Police responded to a complaint lodged by C&A's pizzeria that a customer had attempted to pay for a meal with counterfeit money. Police arrested a 17-year-old Hanover High School student for trying to buy a small order of garlic bread with a counterfeit $50 bill.

Feb. 15, Sanborn Road, 7:54 a.m.

Police responded to a report from a resident of Sanborn Road that a small silver car "always goes the wrong way" on the one-way street past the Howe Library. The resident claims to see the car going the wrong way every couple of days.

Feb. 17, Lyme Road, 3:05 a.m.

A female guest of the Chieftain Motor Lodge complained to the Hanover Police that the noise coming from a nearby room was too loud. An occupant of the boisterous room somehow learned of the noise complaint and called the woman's room pretending to be a police officer coming to help solve her problem. When the woman discovered that he was not, in fact, a police officer, she called the police again complaining that she had been harassed. She eventually left the hotel to go stay with relatives.

March 12, Rip Road, 10:39 p.m.

A man reported to police that he had received a prank phone call from a woman whose voice he did not recognize. Allegedly, she began yelling at him and then threatened to kill him and throw a plastic rock at him.

April 1, Greensboro Road, afternoon

Hanover Police investigated a report of the death of a domestic cat by means of a firearm. The cat was likely shot some time Friday afternoon. The cat's owner found the cat later that evening and brought the cat for treatment to the veterinarian's office, where the cat died from the firearm wound. Police are seeking information about suspicious activity or gunshots occurring on April 1 in that area.

April 11, Pleasant Street, 8 p.m.

Hanover Police received a request for assistance in finding a Hanover resident's stray ferret. The police do not believe that the ferret has been recovered.

April 13, Lyme Road, 8 p.m.

A female Dartmouth freshman reported to Hanover police that she had been sitting on the lawn in front of Hinman Hall with a video camera when a strange man approached her and asked her to videotape him while he masturbated. Police contacted the man and asked him to come down to the police station for questioning. The man drove down to the station, and while he was at the station, the officers realized that his driver's license had been suspended for unspecified reasons. They then arrested him for operating a car with a suspended license.

April 28, Lyme Road, 5:14 p.m.

Hanover police received a report that a man was standing on the roof of the Dartmouth Printing Company screaming and yelling obscenities at passersby. Employees of the printing company asked the man to leave the roof, but they returned inside after he threatened to kill them. Upon arriving on the scene, police scoured the roof for the man, who had returned to the ground floor of the building. The only police officer on the floor of the building at that time was Hanover police chief Nicholas Giaccone. The man struggled with the police chief, who drove him onto one of the company's printing machines before slapping him with handcuffs. Police took the individual into protective custody and sent him to the hospital for mental issues, including alcohol abuse.

May 8, Webster Ave., 5:19 a.m.

An unidentified male allegedly entered Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority through a basement window and started scrounging through the kitchen. Possibly in search of alcohol, the male unhinged a locked kitchen cabinet, which contained no alcohol. At that point, a member of the sorority heard noises coming from the basement and went downstairs to investigate. When she confronted the sweatshirt-clad assailant, she startled him and he attempted to run past her out of the sorority. Despite the sorority sister's momentary attempt to latch onto the hood of the trespasser's sweatshirt, he made his way out of Theta and into a getaway car. The dark-colored station wagon drove away, never to be found.