Cornell Univ. president unexpectedly resigns

The Cornell University community is still reeling from the shock of the sudden resignation of University President Jeffrey Lehman, who announced his departure June 11.

Lehman made the announcement before an audience of 700 alumni, faculty members and college officials at the conclusion of his annual "State of the University address" during Cornell's Reunion Weekend.

Those in attendance described audible gasps preceding a standing ovation for the president, who attributed his resignation to unresolved differences between him and the Cornell Board of Trustees.

Speculations on the reason behind his departure have varied, but the trustees and Lehman cited differences with the board's strategy for accomplishing Cornell's long-term vision as ultimately driving Lehman's decision to resign.

"The differences between me and the board were profound, and they were at a strategic level," Lehman said in an interview published Tuesday in the Chronicle of Higher Education.

"It became clear to me that these were not little things that we could work out. At some point, I do have to decide what's best for Cornell," he said.

According to Cornell sophomore Sarah Boxer, a representative on the Cornell Student Assembly, the pervading student sentiment is "an overwhelming sense of shock and sadness with this sudden news."

"At the very least, amongst student leaders on campus, we generally have a very good feel of the main issues plaguing the administration, and the sides that certain higher-ups take on issues," Boxer said. "But no one, on any end of the undergraduate spectrum, saw this coming at all."

Boxer characterized Lehman as a president who was actively involved and interested in student life, possessing a leadership style that made students feel the administration was an empowering and supportive force.

Given his strong ties with the student body, Boxer said students are stunned that they had no idea of Lehman's impending resignation. Dartmouth President James Wright added that he also had no clue as to Lehman's intentions.

Wright, who serves as chair of the Council of Ivy Group Presidents, has worked with Lehman on the Council over the past two years. He stated his "tremendous regard" for the Cornell president and described him as a good leader who was very committed to his university.

"When I read that press release -- I think it was the day before commencement -- I was as surprised as everyone else," Wright said. "I had no inkling that there was any problem there and I don't know any more."

Lehman dismissed speculation that the board was unhappy with his handling of controversial local issues or his prioritizing of university goals.

"This was not about an issue, not about people or personalities," he said. "I think my departure signals an opportunity for the board to find a new president who is more in tune with their strategies for how to reach those goals."

Lehman's predecessor, Hunter Rawlings III, will serve as interim president beginning June 30. He will maintain the position until a committee consisting of trustees, faculty, administrators and staff can find a suitable replacement.

"It's hard for a university to have a new president come in and leave after two years, because I think Jeff was just initiating some new things and so that will be set back a bit now," Wright said.

Wright, who has known Rawlings for several years, foresees an effective interim presidency from him and described him as a "tremendous academic leader."

Lehman, who has served as Cornell's eleventh president since October 2003, concludes the shortest presidency in Cornell's history and the first presidency by a Cornell alumnus.

During the past two years, Lehman has overseen a 17 percent increase in applications to Cornell, record levels of alumni gifts placing third only to Harvard and Stanford and the appointment of six new deans.

President Lehman's office informed The Dartmouth that Lehman was busy in meetings and not available for comment.