Security ready for the weekend

As students look forward to a Green Key weekend marked by an endless array of parties, Safety and Security and Hanover Police are preparing to safeguard the campus for the spring extravaganza.

College Proctor Harry Kinne said that he expects a significantly higher volume of people on campus this weekend because many non-students visit the College for Green Key and very few students leave Hanover on big weekends. As a result, Safety and Security will provide extra on-duty officers throughout the weekend.

"We have a lot more activity, a lot more people in and around campus," he said.

Specifically, Safety and Security will increase patrol forces by three officers Friday and Saturday nights and place certain officers in charge of special events such as the block party, Kinne said.

"If everybody is safe and everything goes according to plan, it's a fun weekend," he said.

Safety and Security's job of looking after the campus may become easier if the weekend's forecast for bad weather materializes, Kinne said. He predicted fewer incidents for Safety and Security if weather forces most people indoors.

Kinne also requested that if students decide to drink, that they do so responsibly. He asked that students drink in moderation, watch out for each other and call Safety and Security if necessary.

"Obey the law and obey Dartmouth rules and stay safe," he said.

Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone said he plans on increasing the workforce Friday and Saturday nights as well. An extra patrol officer will be on duty Friday and Saturday's overnight shifts, he said. Giaccone added that, unlike Safety and Security, Hanover Police will not focus on any specific areas.

Throughout the weekend, the job of Hanover police officers will be to enforce underage drinking laws and respond to any requests for assistance from Safety and Security.

Despite the influx of people and the increase in activity that this weekend is certain to bring, Green Key has not always seen an upsurge in police activity, the police chief said.

"Sometimes they are no greater or no less than any other weekend," Giaccone said.