Few incidents mark 'routine' Green Key

Despite widespread expectations of raucous behavior, Green Key weekend went off without any major hiccups, College Proctor Harry Kinne said.

"Actually this was a pretty routine weekend for Green Key -- a lot of parties, but things seemed to go pretty well," Kinne said.

The only serious reported incident took place early Thursday morning when an unidentified intruder allegedly entered a female room in the Choates Cluster.

Residents of the Choates were instructed to keep their doors locked for the remainder of the weekend. No other unauthorized room intrusions seem to have occurred after that, Kinne said.

Elsewhere on campus, a small controversy sprouted Saturday morning surrounding the ability of fraternities to play beer pong outdoors during Green Key weekend.

According to Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity president Brandon Piper '06, Safety and Security instructed house members to stop outdoor games on Saturday morning.

The intervention of Safety and Security caught the fraternity by surprise, Piper said, because Chi Gam had been able to play pong outdoors in previous years during Green Key, and Gamma Delta Chi fraternity had been allowed to play outdoors on Friday.

According to Piper, officer Gregory Timmins told Chi Gam on Saturday morning that Safety and Security had received a new directive to terminate outdoor pong games only that morning.

Kinne said, however, that the rule is not a new one.

"You have to get an exception if you are going to have alcohol outside," Kinne said, citing Alpha Delta fraternity's Saturday afternoon lawn party as an example of the College allowing a Greek house to have alcohol outdoors.

Other than a few drunken students and a minor outdoor drinking controversy, the weekend appeared to be a success.

Looming weather concerns held off long enough for Phi Delta Alpha fraternity, Gamma Delt and AD to hold their weekend outdoor parties, as the rain did not come until Saturday night.