Campus cops get wheels: two officers patrol by bike

Intoxicated students wary of the Safety and Security Sport Utility Vehicles will have a new type of vehicle to evade -- bicycles. The Safety and Security bike patrol program, established in 1995, reappeared two weeks ago after a year-long hiatus. The bicycles will only be used from April to October.

According to Safety and Security Proctor Harry Kinne, the bicycles offer a number of perks the SUVs do not -- namely quicker emergency response times on the main campus.

"On the main campus, it's very likely that a person on a bicycle would be able to get to a location more quickly than a vehicle would," Kinne said. "The response time is very quick on a bicycle because you don't have the impediment of traffic signals; you can get around campus much easier."

The two Safety and Security officers currently certified for bike patrol learned various skills in their training, including riding the bicycles down stairs to ensure the quickest possible response.

Three more officers are interested in training for the program this summer and Kinne said that as the program grows he expects it will spur even more interest among the 36 officers certified to drive SUVs.

SUVs aren't in danger of becoming obsolete any time soon, however. An SUV will be on patrol at all times to assist bike patrol officers needing to take in intoxicated students for medical treatment, Kinne said.

Officers can patrol on bicycles rain or shine, day and night. Night officers will wear reflective gear so that they are readily identifiable, and the bicycles are equipped with bright headlights in the front and flashing lights in the back.

In addition to improving campus safety, the bike patrol program was also introduced as an environmentally friendly alternative to driving gas-guzzling SUVs.

"We're very supportive of bikes on campus, and in particular the environmental friendliness of bikes on campus," Kinne said.

Intended environmental studies major Kiersten Hallquist '08 said she appreciates Safety and Security's efforts.

"I think it's a great idea that they're promoting the use of bicycles on a small campus like this instead of using fossil fuels," Hallquist said. "It must be a one-mile radius, and they're patrolling in SUVs. Considering that most of their time is spent patrolling as opposed to picking students up, bikes are a much better replacement."

Even though only a few officers have expressed interest thus far, Kinne said bicycles are preferred over SUVs because they allow officers to enjoy nice weather and interact with students.

"It's a good way for officers to be able to meet people and talk. They're outside and available," Kinne said.

Students agree that officers on bicycles are more approachable.

"Yes, it's more open, and less intimidating than them being in a metal kill-mobile," Mike Trapp '08 said.

Bryan Yazzie '08 agreed. "It's much more personal when you can see them," he said. "I know a few people who do approach them " they're really friendly people."