Verbum Ultimum

The Social Event Management Procedures Review Committee's recent proposal to revise alcohol policy is a step in the right direction. Dean James Larimore's decision to form the committee in October hopefully signals a new direction for the College regarding alcohol policy -- moving away from rules regarding social events that are unrealistic and exceedingly difficult for Greek organizations to follow. We call on Dean Larimore to enact the committee's proposal.

The move to divide parties into three tiers will permit a greater degree of flexibility in event planning and give Greek organizations more incentive to follow the rules. In particular, the "on-the-fly" stipulation -- which allows organizations to call and register an event at the last minute -- shows flexibility on the part of the College and provides organizations with an easy way to deal responsibly with events that unexpectedly exceed regulation attendance. It should be effective provided Greek organizations use it responsibly. Moreover, allowing unregistered kegs at "closed" events reduces the financial strain on Greek organizations and reduces waste.

The proposed changes would help build trust between Greek organizations and the administration and allow a greater degree of adaptability in social event planning.

In addition, the Student Activity Office's program to provide pizza from Everything But Anchovies, non-alcoholic beverages and water to Greek organizations hosting large parties contributes to an an atmosphere of safety in student social life. We commend the College's realization that many students drink, and that there is little that can be done to stop it. All the College can do is make the environment safer for Dartmouth students. The "party pack" offer is creative and pragmatic, and may help curb dangerous alcohol consumption.

By cooperating and addressing the realities of the Dartmouth social scene, the College community can craft a safer social atmosphere in the future. There will never be complete agreement between the College, Greek organizations and students on matters of alcohol policy -- certainly not unless the state's legal drinking age were lowered to 18. The proposed SEMP changes, however, will create a policy that Dartmouth students can live with.