Sustainable living, 'crazy music' to define Earth Week

Environmental advocates at the College recently launched a "Reinventing Earth Week" initiative aimed at instigating heightened awareness of Dartmouth's environmental groups.

Highlighting the new eco-vigor this year is the Environmental Conservation Organization's Special Weapons and Tactics, or SWAT, team -- a group of 18 bent on correcting environmental wrongdoings by students and administrators. Throughout the week, activists decked out in zany outfits will go to various public spaces to spread a message of energy conservation and sustainable living habits.

"We will be busting in with environmental crazy music to spread the word about conservation and recycling," ECO intern and SWAT team organizer Sara Khan '08 said.

For a couple of hours each day, including multiple SWAT attacks on Friday, the team will try to inspire people to become completely absorbed in certain environmental issues, Khan said. The SWAT team plans to journey to various dorm lounges, dining halls and classrooms to promote their message.

In addition to the active SWAT team, tours of an environmentally friendly dorm room will be provided from 4 to 6 p.m. throughout the week. The "model room," located at 103 Lord Hall in the Gold Coast Cluster was recently constructed to exemplify ways to reduce the amount of energy utilized on a daily basis.

The room consists of energy-efficient products such as notebook computers, cord telephones with already installed answering machines, compact fluorescent lights and reusable containers for food storage.

A Wednesday Earth Fair will provide ways for students to become actively involved in the environmental movement. A vegan barbecue will be held at Brace Commons on Tuesday, and Greek houses are sponsoring an Earth Day Kegger party on Friday night.

To combat a seemingly reduced student interest in campus environmental groups, "Reinventing Earth Week" was started by environmental activists in February 2004. The program consisted of a sequence of speakers, nightly panel discussions and an afternoon nature hike. As the committee faced turnout challenges, this year's organization included campus environmental groups collaborating efforts to facilitate awareness regarding current environmental initiatives.

"Learning from last year's turnout rate, we decided to limit our events and concentrate publicity on each of those events," ECO Coordinator Phuong Luong '07 said. "Last year's events were coordinated virtually by one committee that had a separate identity, whereas this year every environmental committee has a hand in one of the events."

The environmental studies program is showing a Monday night film, providing an open house for the "model dorm" and serving the vegan barbecue. The Campus Greens are hosting the Earth Fair, and various ECO interns are organizing smaller advocacy events.

Earth Week Coordinator Kelsey Noonan '08 said it is difficult to predict student turnout as Earth Week coincides with Dimensions weekend, and there will be many other events for prospective students. Involving prospective students in the events, however, may garner higher involvement in environmental issues in the future.

"It is great that we can show prospective students the environmental aspect of the college," Noonan said.

For activists involved in the campaign, excitement is brewing to raise overall awareness of productive means to conserve the environment.

"Be careful of how you manage your waste next week because even though we are wearing crazy clothes does not mean we are easy to spot," Khan said. "SWAT is everywhere."