Women's hockey rolls through ECACHL quarters

With some clutch performances, Dartmouth women's hockey team swept Colgate in the opening round of the ECAC playoffs and moves on to the semifinals of the tournament.

On Friday night, it was Tiffany Hagge '06 who provided the scoring. Thanks in large part to her hat-trick, Dartmouth scored early, added a couple of pretty goals and took a quick lead in the series.

Just three minutes after the initial face-off, Hagge re-directed a Kirsti Anderson '05 slap-shot from the point between the legs of Colgate goalie Rebecca Lahar for the opening tally, but it was the second goal that gave the Big Green all the momentum they would need for the game.

With less than a minute remaining in the first period, Hagge raced off the bench on a line change and streaked towards the left side of the net. Dartmouth forward Gillian Apps '06 sent a hard pass from the right corner across the crease. Hagge dove for it with her stick extended and tipped it over Lahar's shoulder for the 2-0 intermission lead.

"You don't want to give those up," said Colgate Coach Scott Wiley of the late goal. "We allowed them to do what they wanted to do tonight, but you have to give credit to Dartmouth. They played really well tonight."

Colgate had good chances in the second period, including a stretch of two minutes when the Raiders held a five-on-three advantage due to consecutive penalties to forward Cherie Piper '06. However, they were unable to capitalize despite putting six shots on goal.

"I thought they got a lot of bounces," Wiley said. "But you know, good teams make their own bounces."

Dartmouth drew a Colgate penalty late in the second period and maintained its two-goal lead into the final intermission.

"It takes the edge off when the team's playing hard," said goalie Christine Capuano '07, who made 21 saves for the shutout. "It's always good to get an early lead. It gets the energy going. The team was ready to play and worked hard, so I was able to see the puck really well."

In the third period, Cheryl Muranko '06 iced the game at the 3:08 mark on assists by Piper and Katie Weatherston '06. Then at the 11:17 mark, Hagge put the finishing touches on the game by completing her hat-trick.

On a Dartmouth power play, co-captain Meagan Walton '05 kicked a hard pass from Piper across the crease, and an opportunistic Hagge was there for the top-shelf finish.

"It was important to send the message that although we have struggled lately, we are still one of the top teams in the country," said Hagge.

On Saturday, it was Dartmouth's own five-on-three power play that decided the game. The Big Green scored twice with two-man advantage and came from behind for a 3-2 victory, clinching the series.

Colgate held a 2-1 lead into the second period, when the Raiders received consecutive penalties six seconds apart.

On the ensuing power play, Dartmouth peppered Lahar with shots, and Weatherston eventually put in a rebound with 30 seconds remaining on the second power play.

Nineteen seconds later, Walton slid another rebound under Lahar's pads for the game-winning goal.

"We were down one goal at that point, and we needed to respond," Walton said. "After that first goal, I looked up to see 30 seconds left [on the second power play], and we just kept plucking away. I think either Tiff [Hagge] or [Gillian] Apps put a shot on net. The loose puck was there and I batted it in."

"They're a great-skilled team," said Wiley. "I thought we killed our 5-on-4s well, but the 5-on-3, they're going to do great things if you give them opportunities like that."

Colgate started strong against the Big Green in the first period. After a Weatherston goal at the 8:27 mark, the Raiders fought back and took the lead on two power play tallies. Freshman Kara Leene netted the equalizer off of a rebound on a shot from senior Kristin Cirbus in the right corner. Then junior Micki King gave Colgate the first intermission lead with 4:03 remaining in the frame.

"We have a lot of kids with a lot of pride," said Wiley of the strong start. "Their characters showed tonight, and that's something I'm proud of."

The intensity of the game was reflected in the physical play that resulted in 21 combined penalties, many of which were coincidental. Both teams capitalized when given the advantage, as Dartmouth finished 2 for 9 and Colgate finished 2 for 7 on the power play.

"There was not a great flow to the game," said Dartmouth coach Mark Hudak. "Lots of penalties were called and that takes away the momentum for both teams."

After Walton's goal, which put the Big Green up 3-2, the teams traded scoring opportunities, but neither side was able to capitalize.

Dartmouth goalie Kate Lane '06 held her ground after the first period and made 23 saves for the victory. Lahar made 34 saves in a losing effort.

"[Lahar] always plays well here," said Wiley. "She likes to play against good players, and I'm proud of her efforts."

With the victory, the Big Green will travel to Schenectady next weekend to participate in the ECAC Championships and take on St. Lawrence.

The Saints, unlike Dartmouth, were forced into a third game in the best of three quarterfinal series, ultimately triumphing over the Brown Bears.