Theta Delt, Tri-Delt placed on probation

Theta Delta Chi fraternity and Delta Delta Delta sorority will be placed on 12 weeks and four weeks of probation respectively for their roles in alleged new member hazing events during the Fall term, the College announced on Thursday.

In a statement posted online, Dean of the College James Larimore detailed the results of a Feb. 17 joint Committee on Standards and the Organizational Adjudication Committee hearing, including gritty descriptions of body shots and "interpretive" dances.

The sanctions conclude approximately five months of investigations by the College and the Hanover Police Department.

The OAC/COS jury found that Tri-Delt pledges had been sent to Theta Delt on two pledge missions, both of which were altered from their original intent by people associated with Theta Delt, according to a statement released by Larimore.

The committee reported that two Theta Delt pledges took body shots off of two Tri-Delt pledges during the first mission instead of participating in a drinking game that was originally planned.

A recent Theta Delt alumnus was found to have made changes to the second mission. Tri-Delt pledges were required to individually perform an "interpretive" dance in a darkened room while a Theta Delt served as a pole, instead of reciting a poem containing pre-selected words.

While no physical contact or nudity is said to have occurred during these performances, the women involved testified that sexual comments were made and that the sexual nature of the experience was harassing and intimidating.

Numerous current Theta Delt members, including a house officer, participated in the second mission, resulting in the OAC charging Theta Delt as an organization for violating College standards against endangering others and sexual abuse of any kind.

The small group of Theta Delt members involved in the first incident led the OAC to conclude that Theta Delt should not be implicated. But the OAC decided that Tri-Delt should be held responsible for the first incident for encouraging underage drinking as a new member activity.

Tri-Delt was found guilty of violating College standards against endangering others, as well as failing to abide by the drug and alcohol policy and the College's rules and regulations.

The OAC committee sentenced both houses to periods of college discipline , which interim Director of the Undergraduate Judicial Affairs Office April Thompson described as similar to probation for individuals. The organizations were not placed on social probation because of OAC findings that alcohol had played a limited role in the incident.

While both houses are permitted to host events during their probationary periods, Thompson said subsequent violations of College standards would be taken more seriously in light of the current standings of both organizations.

Tri-Delt and Theta Delt, who were previously under investigation for alleged violations of the New Hampshire state hazing statute, were cleared of criminal charges in early January. Dartmouth officials resumed a College investigation after criminal charges were dropped to determine if a violation of the Dartmouth hazing policy had occurred.

OAC typically deals with disciplining groups, while COS does the same for individuals. The joint hearing occurred because the incident crossed individual and group boundaries, said Thompson.

The hearing's verdict was reached only after an extensive fact-finding process in which the committee conducted interviews, reviewed evidence and engaged in lengthy deliberations, said Larimore, who chaired the COS and OAC hearings.

The contrast between Tri-Delt's four weeks of probation and Theta Delt's 12 weeks of probation is the result of different violations and different disciplinary histories, Larimore said. Theta Delt is also prohibited from recruiting, pledging or initiating new members until their sanctions expire or the end of the academic year, whichever comes later.

Both houses must also fulfill educational initiatives including campus programming and presentations as part of their punishment. According to Larimore, these initiatives are house-specific, with Tri-Delt re-examining their new member policy and Theta Delt exploring gender relations and sexual abuse prevention. Both houses have already taken steps to implement these requirements.

Both Larimore and Thompson expressed confidence in the abilities of house leaders to rebound from the incident and help educate other organizations about their own internal practices.

"We do have a lot of confidence in the leadership of the houses. We really do want to make sure we're working closely together to help them move forward," Larimore said.

"I hope organizations continue to review the hazing policy and new member education efforts," Thompson said. "It's always a time to step back and say, 'What are we doing? How can we do this better?'"