Leftist radio station returns to airways, newly solvent

Air America, a fledgling liberal radio network, has overcome early financial woes to make a comeback, particularly in the hyper-competitive morning talk market. Nearly falling into insolvency only weeks after its launch last March, the network now boasts audiences in 46 cities, a new management team and renewed fiscal backing.

Marc Maron, one of the network's chief commentators, is upbeat about the future prospects of his network. Maron, who hosts "Morning Sedition" from 6 to 9 a.m., is determined to break through what he views as the malaise of conservative radio programming to expose the truth about President George W. Bush.

Unsurprisingly, Maron disagrees with Bush on his two most controversial domestic and foreign policy issues: Social Security and Iraq.

According to Maron, Paul Krugman, a New York Times columnist, felt that Social Security could be made solvent with some minor adjustments without the uncertainty of moving toward private accounts.

"It seems like the only people this helps are bankers and the investment community," Maron said in an interview with The Dartmouth. "Let it be. Raise taxes."

Though the "mainstream" media portrays the recent Iraqi election as a positive step, Maron was unable to view the election in that light.

"I resent signing off on it as a positive step," Maron said. "I think in the same sentence we have to state that we weren't there. Fifteen-hundred Americans are dead, and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis are dead. Twenty-seven soldiers died yesterday. Was it good?"

He cited ignorance as the reason that most people are willing to accept what the media tells them about the ongoing war in Iraq.

"The time it takes to even marginally educate yourself about Iraq is a lot. People are busy programming iPods," Maron said.

Al Franken, the network's most recognizable commentator, was widely reported as having said that while he was personally disappointed with Bush's reelection, it would be a boon for the fledgling network. Maron, however, was more cautious about that issue.

"It's an easy target to a degree, but you can't just bash Bush. At some level you have to address the deeper issues," Maron said. "But, it's definitely going to give us the chops on having something to target."

Though Maron and his listeners may hold their progressive ideals close to heart, they occasionally transgress into conservatism. On Tuesdays, Maron holds a "liberal confessional" for himself and his listeners.

"A lot of progressives want to call the insurgents in Iraq freedom fighters. I think they're killers and I refused to do that," Maron said.

Air America was founded last March but has already experienced a stormy financial history. It ran out of money in six weeks and was kicked out of Los Angeles and Chicago, leaving only New York and two other smaller markets. An infusion of additional funds and a new management team have turned the young network around. Having re-entered Los Angeles last week, it is now available in 46 radio markets.

While the network is now financially stable, its audience pales in comparison to the audiences of conservative talk shows. Air America typically has a cumulative nationwide audience between 2.5 and 3 million listeners. By comparison, Rush Limbaugh attracts an audience of 20 million on nearly 600 stations nationwide.

Maron attributed the reduced audience to the relative youth of the network and was upbeat about future possibilities.

"We're doing remarkably well. We've carried away a very solid chunk of listeners. They expected us to have these numbers one or two years in," Maron said. "In the spring, there'll be a new onslaught of marketing."