July 27, 2024 | Latest Issue

Heat wave forces skiers across border

While Hanover may presently find itself in the midst of this season's first true blizzard, the late burst of precipitation comes too late to save cross-country skiing.

Though alpine events will remain at the Dartmouth Skiway in Lyme Center, N.H., a lack of snow combined with relatively warm temperatures has driven the cross-country portion of the Carnival to the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe,Vt.

The action at Stowe -- which doubles as UVM's home course -- kicks off on Friday with the men's 10-kilometer classical race at 10 a.m., followed by the women's five-kilometer classical an hour and a half later. Competition resumes the next day at 9 a.m. for both the men and women in the 4x5-kilometer mixed freestyle relays.

Back at the Dartmouth Skiway, the women's first giant slalom run starts at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, while the men will have to wait until 10:30 a.m. The ladies continue to go first later in the day, commencing their second run at 1 p.m. to the men's 2 p.m. start.

The men and women's slalom begins Saturday at 9:30 a.m. with second runs slated for 12:30 p.m.

The Big Green goes into the weekend fresh off its first win of the season, and with home-field advantage -- at least on the alpine side -- it could be Dartmouth's third Winter Carnival win in a row.