Freshmen run barbershop with promises of nudity

As the door to 404 Wheeler Hall opens, two freshman women wearing bustiers, suit jackets and knowing smiles welcome customers into their candlelit "We Groom in the Nude" men's salon. Clients, who sit beneath Tibetan prayer flags and amid sleazy novels, are united by one common desire -- nudity.

Treat Ward '08 and Danielle Coutinho '08 run the men's salon service out of their two-room double. Described by the women as the "ultimate male fantasy," Ward and Coutinho offer haircuts, manicures, massages and facials to the men of the College.

Although Ward and Coutinho would not comment explicitly about their supposed nudity, every customer who was interviewed by The Dartmouth said both women remained clothed the whole time. Ward and Coutinho reportedly told some customers, who asked them if they would undress, that they would strip if the customer drew a queen of hearts randomly from a deck.

Ward admitted that the text on their ad is an "advertising gimmick."

"We came up with the name 'We Groom in The Nude' on a whim," Ward said. "It was our intention to stir things up. It's funny. It's sexy."

But some men are less than satisfied with their PG-13 experiences.

"I guess I back what they're doing -- giving haircuts and facials -- and their prices are pretty reasonable, but they're getting customers based on lies," said Drue Fitzgerald '05, who received a clothed "We Groom in the Nude" facial. "It's like a frat asking people to come over and play pong and then not serving any beer."

Ward acknowledged that their business is slightly misleading but believes her customers are satisfied.

"Some guys come as a joke but wind up loving it," Ward said.

Several weeks ago, the business kicked off with a homemade advertisement decorated with lipstick kisses. Ward and Coutinho tacked the advertisement on the Wheeler bulletin board, circulated a BlitzMail message around campus and displayed their ad as the background of public computers in Berry Library. The Dartmouth Review ran the advertisement for free, and without notification, under the heading "Res Ipsa Loquitor," or "the thing speaks for itself."

Customers responded instantly, but the advertisements left many members of the Dartmouth community questioning whether the business was legitimate, and if the two women were really naked.

"That's between me and the clients," Ward said elusively. "We get blitzes asking if we really groom in the nude. I tell them to schedule an appointment and find out."

When they do find out, most customers are disappointed.

The women have come up against opposition around campus. They have spoken with six people who oppose their business antics, including various sorority members and an unnamed "secret society," who all expressed concern that the women are objectifying themselves for Dartmouth men.

"It's too easy for others to view us as two '08 women who are selling their bodies," Ward said. "But we're on top of the game. We know what you want."

While Ward and Coutinho believe they have the upper hand, some students are hesitant to support their controversial entrepreneurship.

"I think it's an intelligent fundraiser, but I'm not sure I'm okay with people being so sexually open," Sam Routhier '07 said.

Ward cut hair for four years at the Taft School as a way to make pocket money, but she has no official salon training. Coutinho was trained to do manicures for her job at Victoria's Secret Beauty.

"We Groom in the Nude" books about five appointments a day and is "open" about four days a week, with business peaking on Saturdays. Ward and Coutinho plan to offer fraternity packages for which they would visit the fraternity house to pamper many brothers at once.

But some doubt if there will be a high return of customers.

"I'm not going back," said Fitzgerald.